Topic Sponsor

Low voltage after A/c bypass

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low voltage after A/c bypass

Yesterday I bypassed my Ac and removed the compressor from my my 92 4.9. This morning when I started it up i noticed that my voltage meter was reading around 9-10 volts when it usually is 12-14. So i decided to put the A/c compressor back on and was reading the usual amount of volts. Is there any reason for this?
Thank you
Old 03-26-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Belt not turning the alternator ? Proper way to delete A/C is a delete pulley.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:01 PM

I got a smaller belt and it turns the alternator and I get normal voltage coming from the alternator. But not reading normal on the gauge. Is there any possible way the electrical connection that goes to the compressor cause it to lose that much voltage. I'm not an electrical guy so I don't fully understand how it could possibly work.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:11 PM

No, it doesn't make sense. I'd assume you didn't let the wires ground out or anything. Does it make any difference if your heater control is on a/c - defrost or not ?
Maybe there's some weird wiring thing or something, but I've never heard of it before.
Does just unplugging the wires at the compressor do the same thing, or is it only when you take the compressor off ?
Maybe someone else has an idea, I'd be interested to hear.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:00 AM

When I move the heater control with the A/c still plugged in and running there is a slight drop nothing major. And when I unplug to electrical connection to the compressor itself there is also a slight drop. But neither one of those compare to when the compressor was off.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 AM

Seems like the shorter belt isn't doing it. They make an a/c delete pulley. They sell around here for about $75 at the parts store, but I see them on rock auto for about 25.
If just taking the compressor off and running a shorter belt was a good solution, I don't know why they would bother making a delete pulley. Must be a reason.

5.0 A/C delete pulley

The shorter belt thing doesn't seem to be working for you so maybe you should look into the pulley. Got a picture around here somewhere - they just bolt on to 3 of the compressor bolt holes.

Quick Reply: Low voltage after A/c bypass