Topic Sponsor

looking for help on getting a 1996 F-150 started

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry looking for help on getting a 1996 F-150 started

I recently purchased a 1996 F-150 4x4 with a 5.0L V-8. I'm trying to get it started and use it for a daily driver truck. So when I was going through it to check fuel, air, and spark; I find out I'm not getting any spark.

It turns over fine, but no spark. I replaced the coil. A coworker suggested trying to pull error codes from the computer. There is an OBD2 port under the dash that has power to it, but the scanner wont connect to the computer.

One thing I have noticed, besides no spark; is that I don't hear a fuel pump prime when I turn the key from off to on. I don't know that I should hear one, but I do hear the fuel pump prime the injectors on my jeep when I turn the key to on. I don't know if I should hear the same thing when I turn the ignition on an F-150. However when i press the thingy(valve) at the end of the fuel rail, I do get fuel spurting out.

So three things based on what I've found so far.

1. I suspect a bad computer, because of both no spark; and no buzz from the fuel pump.

2. Replacing the Ignition Control Module, might get a spark, that would get the engine started.

3. I'm out of ideas, on what to look at. If anyone else has any ideas, I could surely use the help.

I would love to hear from anyone who has ideas that would help. It's my first truck, and the first vehicle newer than 1992 that I've owned. It's ugly as sin, but it's growing on me. I want to fix and drive this truck.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm sure there are folks far more experienced than me in this area... but I wouldn't start with the engine computer. That's kind of last on my list.

The first thing I would look at is the relay for the fuel pump, and then the other one for the starter. The relays are in a box under the hood. You should also check the fuses, which are in the glovebox: https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/834106

With a multi meter, you can check both for voltage and resistance across the key parts in the ignition system: https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/833750

All of that said - if this is something sudden, I might start with something a bit more obvious, like check the ground straps to make sure they're still grounded. For two items to not work that run through the relay box, did the ground of that box get loose/disconnected/rusted somehow?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Specifically check the ground in front of the washer bottle on the rad saddle.
Check the inertia shutoff switch behind the passenger kick panel.
Try a 3 second burst of starting fluid in the throttle body.
Check out easyautodiagnostics.com