Topic Sponsor

Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lights

A few questions here:
For those who have lights in the back of their truck, where do you have them wired to? I was thinking of wiring them into my back up lights, but would I get any draw from them, unless I'm in reverse, if I do splice into them? I want to drill some holes on the bottom of the rear bumper, so I can turn them towards a rear tire, if I'm changing it out in the middle of the night and winter is coming, so I can easily see where I'm attaching tow rope to pull out other cars, I had to a lot last year!

I just picked up a 40A relay, which will be replacing the 30A relay I have in the front and the 30A will be used for the rear lights.

Also, can I splice into the switch I have in the cab right now and add another switch, that will control a set of fog lights I will be adding to the bottom of the front bumper? I have a set of 55W off-road lights on the top of the bumper right now, should that be ok?

I'v been reading on a lot of other forums and here trying to understand wiring, draw and what not, just checking to see if I'm in the clear.

According to some calculations, with the 40A relay, I can have a maximum of 480W and with the 30A relay, a maximum of 360W, is that correct? I won't be adding that many lights, but just checking to see if that's right.

Any tips or ideas welcome!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:08 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by |SkidRow|
A few questions here:
For those who have lights in the back of their truck, where do you have them wired to? I was thinking of wiring them into my back up lights, but would I get any draw from them, unless I'm in reverse, if I do splice into them? I want to drill some holes on the bottom of the rear bumper, so I can turn them towards a rear tire, if I'm changing it out in the middle of the night and winter is coming, so I can easily see where I'm attaching tow rope to pull out other cars, I had to a lot last year!

I just picked up a 40A relay, which will be replacing the 30A relay I have in the front and the 30A will be used for the rear lights.

Also, can I splice into the switch I have in the cab right now and add another switch, that will control a set of fog lights I will be adding to the bottom of the front bumper? I have a set of 55W off-road lights on the top of the bumper right now, should that be ok?

I'v been reading on a lot of other forums and here trying to understand wiring, draw and what not, just checking to see if I'm in the clear.

According to some calculations, with the 40A relay, I can have a maximum of 480W and with the 30A relay, a maximum of 360W, is that correct? I won't be adding that many lights, but just checking to see if that's right.

Any tips or ideas welcome!
Yes your calculations are correct, but I wouldn't worry on the draw unless you are running some really bright high draw bulbs. You can splice them into the rev light, but the easiest way I've done in the past is splicing a wire into the rev wire of the trailer connector (if you have one).

When you are splicing a switch from another one for power, remember to up the fuse rating a bit if you are running both at the same time. Personally I like having a stand alone switch for lights that way I can control them coming on and off. If you are wiring 4 55w lights then you should be fine with the 30a relay you have.
The following users liked this post:
|SkidRow| (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So for me to up the fuse rating, do you mean replace the inline fuse to a bigger one, or adding an inline fuse between the two switches or am I lost here? I don't plan on running them at the same time in the front, it will be a set of off-road and a set of fog lights.

I don't have a trailer light kit installed, yet, I have to find a good hitch first. So, even if I'm not in reverse I can still get power to the lights?

Quick Reply: Lights