Topic Sponsor

Intermittent- Crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent- Crank no start

So I have been battling with this one for almost a year:
Truck sat for 10 years. Sometimes it will start just fine, normally when it's warm. Other than that, this is what I've got going on:
I will turn the key on and the fuel pump kicks on like it should, but does not kick off. When this happens I know it will not start. I have sent the EEC off to be rebuilt. Seemed to have the same problem so I sent it back to have them go through it again. Got it back, still having the same problem. I have replaced the EEC relay, same problem. I have cleaned the grounds, same problem (unless I'm missing one somewhere). I have checked fuel rail pressure and it's good, even when it won't start. If I shoot some fuel in the intake, she will fire, so I know I have spark. Everything to me points back to the computer but the rebuilders had it for 6 weeks last time and they could not get it to fail. I am hoping I can find someone that has had this exact same issue and has figured it out. Help please!! Thanks in advance!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Kind of sounds like the injectors aren't opening sometimes - if putting fuel in the intake works.
The TPS is capable of shutting off the injectors, so worth testing that.
Have you pulled the codes ? That's always a good idea.
The other thing is the fuel pressure; you say it's good, but what's good to you - in PSI ?
All the V8's and the 93 1/2 up 4.9's ran at 30 to 45 psi. Your engine requires 45 to 60 psi
Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It primes right up to 50 psi. The injectors are not firing. But the fuel pump also continues to run. Normally you turn the key on, the fuel pump cycles on, then off...well when it decides it doesn't want to start, the fuel pump continues to run. Everything points to the EEC because it controls the injectors and also tells the fuel pump to turn off, but I've sent it in twice now...