Topic Sponsor

Instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster

Hopefully this is in the right spot and I have been trying to read up on posts on this subject but I only have one question. I have a 95 Ford F-150 and recently my speedometer and odometer and my truck is shifting very hard. Now I have replaced my vss and check all the fuses and tested the lines leading to the vss and I’m almost rd 100% sure that’s it’s my instrument panel. Question is though I have the 95 F150 with the flex fuel or whatever it is where it can run off propane so do I have to look for a instrument panel with the gas and propane switch only of will it match up with other clusters around my year model?
Sorry In advance for the lengthy question
Old 03-13-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

That's not "Flex Fuel" (high ethanol content); that's "bi-fuel" (gas or something else - typically CNG).

You don't have to change the whole cluster to replace the PSOM - it comes out easily, and is interchangeable with all '92-96 F-series/Bronco & '97 F >8500GVWR PSOMs. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You don't say what is happening with your speedometer/odometer module but it is a common failure, especially if your speedo needle jumps around above 30 mph or so. Very easy to just change the PSOM instead of the whole cluster as Steve explained above.
The PSOM is on it's own little plug and isn't attached to anything else so it's really simple to change.

Check your interior light - that light is on the same fuse as the PSOM so if it goes out it would cause the problem you're describing. The computer needs input from the speedo module to determine shifts so that would most likely be the transmission issue.

Somewhere back in my posts from a couple years ago I posted a series of pictures showing changing the PSOM, if you feel like digging through my old posts. If you're really good at not dropping little screws you can leave the cluster right in the truck; just remove the black bezel and the plastic cover.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster