Topic Sponsor

Ignition switch help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch help

For a long time that ring around where you put the key in would free spin and turn on the battery without the key being in. Well finally the other day the truck would start and it wouldn't turn off even with key in off position. I replaced the key switch assembly and the new one free spins too. I replaced the electrical switch too even though the old one was good. I read on here about a rod that connects them being the problem for some people but iIcant find it ( iIhave both the top and bottom of steering column off). I'm also thinking that it is working fine because when I turned the key to remove keyswitch cylinder to check it all again, the rod in the electrical switch matched the same position as key switch. So why is it still free spinning? 95 xlt 5.0
Old 03-02-2018, 01:30 PM

With the electrical switch out, when i turn key to run the part the electrical switch rod goes in goes to run position but when I turn it off it stays in run position
Old 03-02-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

It's broke.
Just find a replacement column and swap it over. Getting at those pieces inside is more trouble than you want to bother with.
A good used column should sell for 75 to 100.00
Old 03-02-2018, 02:53 PM

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. The little plastic piece inside the column will make it go to the run position when the key is turned but not bring it back when you turn it off. It's toast and I'd have to pull the column to even try to fix it anyways. So another steering column from a scrapyard will be my only option right?
Old 03-02-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 489 Likes on 423 Posts

I once tore apart a steering column on a t-bird with the same issue to replace a broken gear rod.. A royal PITA. I also vote on a boneyard column. The piece that broke also was used with the locking steering wheel al;so and someone tried to force the wheel while it was locked.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:12 PM

Is it hard to change? I'VE wasted enough days off just getting this far
Old 03-02-2018, 03:52 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Easley
Is it hard to change? I'VE wasted enough days off just getting this far
4 bolts that hold the steering column in, one that holds the actual steering shaft, and a few electrical plugs.

Get one from a 94-95 to avoid any wiring headaches.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The only wiring change is the clock spring, but that's easy, and worthwhile if you want to upgrade the steering wheel. I like the '00-04 version.

(phone app link)

To read how to put the roll pin back into place (it's probably NOT "broken"), follow the link in this caption:

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: Ignition switch help