Topic Sponsor

Help with PIP & Spout Circuits (Code 211)

Old 05-26-2016, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help with PIP & Spout Circuits (Code 211)

JUST finished another repair on big brown, and while driving my victory lap, I experienced full power loss for a quarter of a second in 4th gear. It was strange -- almost as if the negative terminal of the battery came disconnected, but then it went right back to rolling along.

Right when I got back I checked for codes, and sure enough, Code 211 for a fault in the PIP / Spout circuits showed up. I've replaced most electrical parts on the truck, including the ICM and PCM, but has anyone done this one before? I read through the TSB for it... it just seems like the wiring harness is completely in tact... seems crazy for me to cut it all open looking for a potential short circuit. I suppose I'm just wondering if anyone has had this fault, and if they had done this wire insulation / foil wrap check as described in the TSB: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/470468_1

Thanks guys...
Old 05-26-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Ever replace the distributor? It could just be that your PIP sensor is failing.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Vintage bike builder

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats how my truck started doing. I'd get a cut out for a second and the Check engine light would come on but would go off when I killed the engine and turned it back on. Then it would die for about 3-4 seconds running 55mph then it started cutting off completely until I had pulled over and let it sit for a minute then restarted it. PIP sensor is going bad so just replace with a new distributor. Theyre on sale for $25 (cast iron) from rock auto
Old 05-26-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

^^^That's exactly what happened with mine too - it just progressively gets worse until you end up stranded somewhere.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Vintage bike builder

I got married in April so I havent been driving/working the truck lately I finally ordered the new distributor today. Hoping to put in my aftermarket temp gauge tonight and work on building my new front bumper. Then it wont be long until paint booth time!
Old 05-26-2016, 10:53 AM

This makes a lot more sense. So those two wires in this tsb are running from the pip sensor which is housed in the bottom of the distributor? When I got the truck I redid the ignition sans the distributor (except the cap and rotor of course). What is the install like? I actually just saw a timing light in a pawn shop the other day...
Old 05-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Vintage bike builder

Install is pretty simple. Follow this:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/87...stributor.html
Old 05-26-2016, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the link! Very straightforward except for my fear of screwing up the timing. I checked rock auto but it looked like only a few options were available at $54 and $57 (wps and spectra). Still really cheap, though I'm also considering the cardone one from advance auto which is about the same price after a coupon code...
Old 05-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Vintage bike builder

Originally Posted by fast_eddy
Thanks for the link! Very straightforward except for my fear of screwing up the timing. I checked rock auto but it looked like only a few options were available at $54 and $57 (wps and spectra). Still really cheap, though I'm also considering the cardone one from advance auto which is about the same price after a coupon code...
Ahh mines a 91 and a v8. just a difference in part number.

Last edited by sonnylynnvick75; 05-26-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with PIP & Spout Circuits (Code 211)