Topic Sponsor

Help me bypass key/ignition (plow truck)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me bypass key/ignition (plow truck)

As the snow continues to pile up, I am HOPING someone can help me.

I have a 1996 F-150 5.0L XL plow truck. Hasn't been on the road in years. I only use it on my property to plow with.

Last night I went to turn it off and the key simply spun (its been loose for awhile but usually I can get it to work). I removed the tumbler and the inside of the steering column looks pretty screwed up, ground up metal, gears with broken teeth. Perhaps from repeatedly ignoring that the key was loosening up?

WHAT I WANT TO DO:

Can someone walk me through what wires to splice, or how to install a momentary switch in order to circumvent the key? I'm quite certain ordering a new tumbler isn't going to work and I don't want to pull the steering wheel or replace the column in this weather here in NY, it's cold out there and I'm kinda lazy as I get older.

Due to an electrical gremlin from nearly 5 years ago, I have to disconnect the battery at night to prevent a dead battery by morning anyways so if I could somehow wire up a switch in order to start (or more importantly STOP) the engine, that would be great. I seem to recall that using a screwdriver on the solenoid can be done to start the truck, but I'd like a switch or something in order to shut it down afterwards and then I can disconnect the battery.

I'm including some photos so you can see I'm not looking to steal anything, that old beast is all mine and no one else would probably want it. If this type of info is better left off the web to deter thieves, I'd greatly appreciate someone privately messaging me how to do it.

If you're local (Camden, NY), I'll by ya a few drinks and some fuel for the troubles. All I know is I have to figure this out ASAP before I'm buried in knee deep snow again.

Thanks!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails Help me bypass key/ignition (plow truck)-img_20171214_090831949.jpg   Help me bypass key/ignition (plow truck)-img_20171214_175156219.jpg   Help me bypass key/ignition (plow truck)-img_20171214_180953009_2.jpg  
Old 12-16-2017, 08:58 AM

Anyone? Snow is piling up out there.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

As long as your wheel will turn you're good.
Just unbolt the white ignition switch from the bottom of the column and operate it by hand. There's 2 torx bolts holding the switch onto the column.
The key moves a rod that moves the switch. If you leave the switch wired but just unbolt it from the column you can reach down and operate it by hand. You'll see what I mean when you get it off.
Might want to tape it to something so it's out of the way but still accessible.
That'll get the snow plowed.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:55 PM

Thanks Chris. I'll take a peek at it in a bit. Do I need to touch the white wire to anything so I can start it with the screwdriver and solenoid method or will this wire allow me to start and stop the engine? Just checking.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:51 PM

I looked at some photos online and I see what you mean. It's a white box looking thing on the lower column.

Once I get it off, I'll figure out how to operate it by hand. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a switch that you will literally push with your finger. No wires to fool with. Can you turn the steering wheel as it is now?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:08 PM

Yes. Thank goodness the wheel does turn. I have tomorrow morning off. Heading out there tomorrow to see if I can get it started. I appreciate the help and advice so far. Hoping for good results!
Old 12-19-2017, 01:39 PM

I can't possibly thank you guys enough. I dropped that white box down and sure enough, it worked like a charm. Was getting quotes to do my large driveway. Two guys didn't want to bother and a third guy quoted me at $75 per plow!!!

I'm hoping I can limp the old girl through another winter or two. Had you guys not helped me figure out this key situation I'd have been in a bunch of trouble.

It's hard to convey how much I appreciate this!! Thank you all. This help was a true blessing for me.

Last edited by thesnowgod; 12-19-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me bypass key/ignition (plow truck)