Topic Sponsor

Headlights hi beam all sorts of screwed up

Old 01-16-2016, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights hi beam all sorts of screwed up

So I have a 93. It had hid's but it always said high beams were on and when ever you flicked it to high beams they would flicker then turn off. Came home one night and noticed one was out so I said screw it and took the hids out and put regular xneon or however it's spelled headlights in. I go to put them on and when high beam is off passenger side is super bright driver side is dim, if I turn the high beams on then passenger side gets dimmer like a low beam and the driver side gets to the same brightness as the passenger so it's like their both on low beam but yet it's really on high beam. Can someone help me find where the problem may lie. Guy I bought it from said the guy who put the hids cut a wire or something and screwed it up.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

For regular filament headlights, there are I think 3 circuits. Two for each low beam and one for both high beams. Look in your owners manual (or download one) to see how many and which fuses they are. The headlight switch powers both low beams. The low/high beam switch turns off the low beams and on the high beams.
HIDs are just on or off. "High beams" are made by moving a shutter with a solenoid. Power the solenoid for high beams.
So the wiring is very different. Sometimes an interface box is installed when retrofitting HIDs.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Most people just chopping wires when they throw in HID's (instead of doing it up right). Start searching for chopped wires or joined up ones and join them properly.
Fortunately, the wires are all colour coded in the harness, so you should be able to identify what's supposed to be joined to what and get them all wired properly.
That may solve the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlights hi beam all sorts of screwed up