Topic Sponsor

Headlight Pull Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 03:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Headlight Pull Switch

Well, last night I was driving home from the movies in my '95 and had my headlights on, and they just shut off on the highway. I pushed the switch in and pulled it back out and they came back on, but there were a few small puffs of smoke hat came out of the side vent on the dash, and it had a smell reminiscent of that of a burnt motor on a power drill. I also noticed when I got home that when I have my parking lights on, my headlights are on as well, and every time I turn my headlights on, the smell comes back and a little bit of that weird smelling smoke comes out of the vent. The lights still seem to work perfectly fine other than the little bit of smoke and weird smell. Anyone know if it could be the switch going out, or if it's a shorted wire coming out of the switch? I am honestly not very good with vehicle wiring and I would rather not try and mess with it if it's a major chore to do. Should I attempt to replace the switch myself or should I pay someone else to do it?
Old 04-08-2016, 09:41 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Most likely the switch is faulty. You should not use the headlights (or any of them) till it's fixed - don't want an F150 BBQ.
It's not hard to change if you can get to the switch (I don't know your level of ability here), you have to take off the instrument cluster bezel and undo 2 bolts - then the wiring is just pull off the plug and plug in a new switch.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Most likely the switch is faulty. You should not use the headlights (or any of them) till it's fixed - don't want an F150 BBQ. It's not hard to change if you can get to the switch (I don't know your level of ability here), you have to take off the instrument cluster bezel and undo 2 bolts - then the wiring is just pull off the plug and plug in a new switch.
alright thanks! I mean I can do some of this work, but I didn't know if it was just a plug and play type of thing once I got the bezel off or what.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Go on YouTube there is a couple of Vids of Guys replacing these, one Guys channel is called Love Your RV. And he shows exactly how to do it, and if I was you I'd replace the Headlight Switch Connector as well. Because if you had smoke coming out of your dash I'll bet it melted & burned the Connector. And in the Video he replaces both, so you can see how it's done. It looks pretty easy..
Old 05-01-2016, 11:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

A common fault is the light switch wiring harness melting. Sounds like it could be it.

Quick Reply: Headlight Pull Switch