Topic Sponsor

Factory Speakers Don't Work

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory Speakers Don't Work

I bought an '87 f150 Lariat and the speakers don't work. The radio/ cassette player shows the clock time and i can turn the radio on and adjust the station, but I don't get any sound. I'm not mechanically or electrically inclined, so I'm trying to learn while being careful and cautious not to screw anything up. I was planning on getting a CD player (I don't do ipods and I sure don't listen to the stuff on the radio). I'm not sure if this is even possible, but could I install a CD player and run a pair of speakers out of it and build a speaker cab for behind the bench seat (and hide the wires)? I'm not looking to rattle cracks in the pavement with bass and volume, I just want to listen to music and hear it with my windows down. Admittedly, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this stuff and I couldn't find a previous thread that applied exactly to my question. Thanks in advance
Old 06-13-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

need to figure if it is the radio or the speakers...the easy way is to jumper in a spare speaker to one of the existing locations and see what you here.

Few CD players are available today, that do NOT include a radio and some sort of device/bluetooth interface. Speakers can be installed in cabinets under or behind the seat and many people do so. The current radio can be replaced with an aftermarket unit, quite easily.

Many sources online (Crutchfield's) has the things needed for you to do a complete system replacement or you could visit a local auto stereo shop and they too can provide the parts or the install for you
Old 06-15-2017, 01:35 AM

I don't have access to spare speakers unfortunately. I hate to tear it all apart and end up with a mess I can't reassemble. As far as installing a new deck, I've never handled a vehicle's radio unit. Do they just have 2 cables to respective speakers that can be ran under the seat? Or is it more intricate than just having 2 speakers hooked up to the radio?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Most have 4 speakers. You can get an adaptor plug that will let you plug right in to the existing truck wiring.
If 1 of the speakers didn't work I'd suspect the speaker or the wiring first; if none of them work, I'd suspect the radio.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:46 AM

I got a $15 pair of speakers from Walmart to try and resolve the issue with. Cheap speakers are better than no speakers, and if I screw up, at least they were cheap. Anyways, the radio does come on, I can cycle through stations like normal. There isn't a bit of sound or noise from the door speakers. Initially I thought the radio didn't turn on at all, but the green lights (that tell the time and station #) don't glow, so I didn't see them. My driver side door panel is loose, so I was able to look down and see a single speaker. I haven't taken the panel off yet. When I removed the tape deck system, It has 2 bunches of wire connectors and the antenna wire. I don't have a new CD player to replace it with. My Haynes and Chilton books don't really cover how to troubleshoot this stuff. Now that I've seen the guts and know that the stereo does in fact work, what is the next step I need to take? I have zero knowledge of this stuff, so I'm trying to be extra cautious as to not screw something up since there are lots of wires down there...
Old 07-16-2017, 11:19 AM

Door panels are pretty easy to remove, and that would be the next step - short of butchering the wires to that door speaker...at the gap between the door and the front door pillar....the wire runs through a piece of wire management tube.

Remove the door panel, or at least get it so you can stick your arm up between the panel and the door and unplug the speaker. The temporarily plug in your "new" speaker...you did test it with a battery or another radio? ( touching the speaker terminals to a 9v battery should push the cone out/in and buzz a bit) and then turn on the radio.

This will prove the system works. Now you will have to decide to pull the speaker wire back to the under dash and mount your "new" speakers there or take apart the door and fabricate a mount for your "new" speaker in the place of the OEM speaker. Unless you bought direct replacement size "new" speakers...they will need some prep to use them in the door panel.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by kd3pc
Door panels are pretty easy to remove, and that would be the next step - short of butchering the wires to that door speaker...at the gap between the door and the front door pillar....the wire runs through a piece of wire management tube.

Remove the door panel, or at least get it so you can stick your arm up between the panel and the door and unplug the speaker. The temporarily plug in your "new" speaker...you did test it with a battery or another radio? ( touching the speaker terminals to a 9v battery should push the cone out/in and buzz a bit) and then turn on the radio.

This will prove the system works. Now you will have to decide to pull the speaker wire back to the under dash and mount your "new" speakers there or take apart the door and fabricate a mount for your "new" speaker in the place of the OEM speaker. Unless you bought direct replacement size "new" speakers...they will need some prep to use them in the door panel.
I didn't know about the battery testing thing, I'll do that. I can build a cabinet and attach it under the middle of the dash on the floor if I need to (if they don't fit in the door). I'm paranoid about selecting the wrong wire, how do I tell the speaker wire from others? I'm asking because there are 2 clumps of probably a dozen wires attached to the radio.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:55 PM

the list below gives you the color code for that plug and the two clumps of wires, just select the speaker you need and voila.

Keep in mind that you need to identify the "main" speakers, especially if you have a 4 speaker system. This color code is only good, IF the wiring is stock and there are not adapters installed. You need to use a "pair" of speakers, one that provides left channel and one that provides right channel. If you mess that up, the balance and fade on the radio will not work correctly.

1987 Ford F150 Truck Car Audio Wiring Guide
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Green/Yellow
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Black
Car Radio Ground Wire: Red or Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Blue/Red
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 6″
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/White
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/White
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size:
6″ x 9″ Speakers 6″ x 9″ Speakers

Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Corners
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink/Green
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Pink/Blue
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink/Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Green/Orange
Old 07-17-2017, 12:15 AM

Wow kd3pc, thank you! If I'm not mistaken, there is only 1 speaker per door, so 2 in the entire truck. It all looks to be stock.

If there is no sound or noise whatsoever coming from the speaker, does that mean there is something wrong with the wiring or can it still just mean the speaker needs replaced?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:31 AM

until you test the speaker in the door, or replace it with a known good one...it is suspect. If the wiring is worn, cut or broken...it would be the wiring.

It can be both, so be prepared.