Topic Sponsor

Engine dies on freeway. Crank but wont start.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies on freeway. Crank but wont start.

1996 F150 4x4, Eddie Bauer, 351 Windsor, fuel injected. 198k miles.
Engine died on freeway yesterday. May have been hesitating very slightly hours before it died but it was so slight that this may not have anything to do with it. Slowly and gently the engine just seemed to stop running. No bangs, no bumps or jerks. Nothing to indicate this was about to happen.
Cranks now but wont start. Plenty of battery to crank. Thought it may just be out of gas so I added approx a gallon but still wont start. Has broken fuel gauge that reads past full and has for 15 years or so. Use the trip odo to calculate fuel level. Dependably runs more then 200 miles on tank and only shows 154 miles now on trip before I added another gallon.
I don't hear fuel pump, though I'm not sure if I should. Should I hear a buzz sound when key turned on? If so, where and from what?

Any suggestions? Where do I start?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 09-19-2015, 07:58 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Sounds like your fuel pump went out, you should hear it priming for a couple of seconds when you turn the key, from the back of the truck. If you have dual tanks it may also be the selector switch but with the sending unit being broken for some time then the first (and best) guess would be the pump. To verify get a fuel pressure gauge from a local auto parts store through their loaner tool program (pay a deposit that's completely refunded when you bring it back) and test your FP at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. When the key is turned on you should be getting 30-45psi, though 30-35psi is sufficient for the truck to run you are looking for around 40-45psi from a well functioning pump.

Pull your codes as well, never hurts and only takes a minute.
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-re...es-obdi-10907/
Old 09-24-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Like fltdriver said, check for sufficient fuel pressure - only way is with a gauge. Also check for spark.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

If you get fuel pressure then check your ignition control module.

Normally if it runs out of gas you'll feel a little bucking or sputtering before it happens. I've had 2 different ICM's go out, both on the highway. Driving a long, suddenly I was coasting.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops. deleted...

Last edited by zjrog; 07-11-2019 at 12:22 PM. Reason: posted in wrong place, sorry...
Old 01-12-2020, 12:21 PM
BossBlue0val

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crownman
If you get fuel pressure then check your ignition control module.

Normally if it runs out of gas you'll feel a little bucking or sputtering before it happens. I've had 2 different ICM's go out, both on the highway. Driving a long, suddenly I was coasting.
if there is no fuel pressure it is possible it is the ignition control module. Before I dropped the tank to replace the pump I would investigate whether you are getting power to the pump harness while the engine is being cranked. Fuel pumps generally fail when they are triggered to start not while they are currently running.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:24 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

zjrog accidentally resurrected a 5-year-old thread. Check the post dates.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine dies on freeway. Crank but wont start.