Topic Sponsor

Electrical starting issue

Old 10-02-2018, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical starting issue

So since i got my 93 2wd, with the 300, its often times would start. Acc/on evwrythibg would come in as normal, but i push clurch and give a turn and nothing. I would try again and often times on yhe 2 nd crank it fires up no problem. This wasnt everytime, maybe half the time.

i would jump the starter solenoid and it would start up no worries, so i replaced the solenoid. I didnt fix the issue.

i checked the ground at the key and it was loose, there was a little plastic piece behind the ground connection that fell out (im sure it wqs the piece that held tension on the ground to activate it agaisnt the ignition). So, whqt to do now? Replace the ignition, the wire bracket, both? Or do i track down if its coming from the clutch switch. Id appreciate aome insight before i try tracking down an issue thqt isnt theree
Old 10-02-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The lock cylinder terminal is not a ground - it's the contact for the key-in switch:

(phone app link)

The far Right side of this diagram shows how the cranking system works:

(phone app link)

This caption explains how to test the ignition switch (which is NOT where the key goes):

(phone app link)

This one explains the clutch switch:

(phone app link)

But it sounds like your truck may have a rare problem inside the steering column, in which case the pin that links the upper ignition actuator to the lower backs out, resulting in insufficient travel of the ig.sw. to activate the starter. This album explains how to disassemble & repair the steering column, but it's usually cheaper & easier to just swap the whole column out:

(phone app link)

If you go that route, I recommend looking for a later column with a nicer steering wheel (with radio buttons) and a clock spring that you CAN buy:

(phone app link)

This caption explains how to collect all the truck's details to put into your signature here:

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 10-02-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic reply, can always count on you, Steve, for a detailed, yet staight to the point, informative answer. I will try and check my ignition switch later in the week, along with clutch position circuitry.

i dont know if it means anything, and im sure you already undetstood my blunder, but i referred to yhe stater "relay" as the solenoid. I am bridging the relay (next to the battery).
Old 10-02-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Yes, that's one of my pet peeves... But I try not to bring it up unless it's relevant (discussions involving both the starter relay AND the starter solenoid).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical starting issue