Topic Sponsor

EEC Relay wire burning. No Fuel pump.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EEC Relay wire burning. No Fuel pump.

Hey guys I'm having a problem with my 1987 Ford F-150 5.0L EEC and fuel pump. The truck stalled driving down the highway and when i turned the key I noticed there was no fuel pump sound, so I bought a fuel pump relay and high pressure fuel pump. Both didn't fix the problem so I went back to the relay and saw that the red wire going to the EEC relay was burned up, when I spliced it back together with a new fuse it just pops the fuse every time. I'm stumped on what it could be, I can't find any shorts or anything. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

definitely a short somewhere...

get a Digital volt meter and start ohming things out...one that bad, should be fairly easy to locate. I would look at the most recently "touched" items - those things you have recently pulled/yanked/replaced. Secondly look for varmint/critter chewing locations - bright light and the creeper work best here.

bests
The following users liked this post:
jdce1 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 08:23 PM

Ok I'll look for a short, any idea what could be tied into the red relay that could be causing this? Thanks for the reply
Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 PM

Default Mice

Ok, so I was following the wires around the engine and found a couple of wires that the insulation was completely gone on. They are two different injector wires with mice bites all over them. Could I just tape over the bare wire if none of the actual wire is damaged?
Old 03-08-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

get some good 3M electrical tape or some shrink tubing and wrap them well. Where there is one mice attack, there are likely others. In order to "burn" the wire, it is likely a larger wire than the normal injector harness....but the insulation should be in good shape.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:33 PM

SO I finally fixed the problem with the EEC, I taped up the bare injector wires and installed a new fuse-able link on the EEC. The fuel pump seems to be working now as you can hear it. I now have a new problem though, it won't turn over. Before I did all the work on it, the truck would turn over but now fuel. Now it won't turn over but will get fuel. There isn't even a solenoid click.
Any ideas?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Try crossing the 2 big bolts on the relay solenoid on the fender. If it doesn't crank go through the battery, solenoid, starter wires.
If it does crank, check the small wire on the solenoid for power when the key is turned to start. If you have power there suspect the solenoid.
If you don't there will be an issue in the ignition switch, neutral safety, to solenoid circuit.