Topic Sponsor

Dual Fuel tank relay

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dual Fuel tank relay

I have a '96 F150 Eddie Bauer Edition 4x4 ext cab with dual tanks and i need to know which relay to replace on it to get the front tank to work...i know there are two relays on the side of the distribution box under the hood and one inside of it, which one do i need to replace? thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

On my 95 the fuel pump relay controls both tanks. The selector switch on the dash directs the power to the selected tank. I did have to replace the switch on my old 92. My fuel pump relay is located in the power distribution box under the hood.
regards
rikard
The following users liked this post:
blown62falcon (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by rikard
On my 95 the fuel pump relay controls both tanks. The selector switch on the dash directs the power to the selected tank. I did have to replace the switch on my old 92. My fuel pump relay is located in the power distribution box under the hood.
regards
rikard
thank you.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by rikard
regards
rikard
one more question, if the relay is numbered #2, then on the side of the distribution box there are 2 more relays marked #1 and #2 which one do i need to change? thanks
Old 08-19-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The fuel tank selector switch is a common failure on these trucks, i recommend testing that. the relay to check is (if standing on the drivers side facing the passenger side) the 2nd relay up in the distribution box. i believe that it is labled Relay 2 on the underneath the top distribution box also.

My truck was stolen about a week ago, the only reason i got it back is because they ran the rear tank empty and tried to fill the front tank which didnt work due to the switch. Thank god for dumb criminals lol.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by smokinbutnotbroken
The fuel tank selector switch is a common failure on these trucks, i recommend testing that. the relay to check is (if standing on the drivers side facing the passenger side) the 2nd relay up in the distribution box. i believe that it is labled Relay 2 on the underneath the top distribution box also.

My truck was stolen about a week ago, the only reason i got it back is because they ran the rear tank empty and tried to fill the front tank which didnt work due to the switch. Thank god for dumb criminals lol.

Ok here are two pictures of my Dist. Box under the hood, "Which" #2 relay do i need to change...
Attached Images   
Old 09-02-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Look on the top inside of your dist. box cover to confirm its labled relay 2, from your picture its directly to the right of your 2nd 50 amp maxi fuse (the big ones) from the bottom of the picture (i say second meaning its the 3rd slot but you dont have a maxi in the 2nd slot..)
The following users liked this post:
blown62falcon (09-03-2012)

Quick Reply: Dual Fuel tank relay