Topic Sponsor

Distributor di-electric grease?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Distributor di-electric grease?

Over the weekend I put on a new distributor cap, and noticed on the old one there was a bit of grease on each contact. I assumed Dielectric grease. So I found some, and applied it to the contacts on the inside of the distributor, and the rotor. I then started it up and it worked great.

I spoke with a mechanic type guru friend, and he said there should be nothing on the contacts or the rotor. I searched before and I didn't see much information, but I did see on a Jeep forum that dielectric grease on the contacts was fine, because it would keep moisture out, and where the metal is pushed together, it will still make contact.

So do I need anything on the inner contacts on the inside of the distributor cap?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
NAVY Jet Engine Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Di-electric grease is primarily used inside connectors (ie- headlight bulb to harness, etc) just helps in preventing a short where moisture is prone to get into the connection. As far as the distributor, it could go either way. I really dont think you could hurt anything doing so, but on the flip side, there isn't supposed to be anything in there like your friend said.
A lot of Jeep guys do that because they go through deep water and stuff and it could help their cause preventing moisture in there. But it wont keep it out...

Right now, I'd say its up to you, leave it in or take it out. The grease is made for that type off connection. If you see any issues in the near future, I would wipe it out.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 PM

Great thanks for the quick reply.

A couple of months ago I got some conductive copper Anti Seize. Would this be a good way to insure contact with the rotor and the terminals? And keep moisture out?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiderfish
Great thanks for the quick reply.

A couple of months ago I got some conductive copper Anti Seize. Would this be a good way to insure contact with the rotor and the terminals? And keep moisture out?
NO!

dielectric grease is non conductive. Conductive anti seize will most likely cause cross shorting inside the distributor.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Buy a service manual!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 PM
NAVY Jet Engine Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You should rarely for moisture in there. Yes, it does/can happen. But you do not need to go through all kinds of preventive measures for it. Unless you plan on scuba diving the the hardcore mudders do...
Old 12-11-2012, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the info! I am glad to see a fellow Marylander on here!

I must say I am surprised the truck runs with all the dielectric grease on the terminals and the rotor. I didn't know the spark arced there too. I thought it was metal to metal contact. Especially since the Rotor's contact point was a bit chewed up.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

Usually on a older cap and rotor there is what I call arc build up on the contacts. My question to this, was there more or less of the build up with the grease on the contacts? I have a 4 wheeler and usually don`t off road with my truck. But if I was going to put grease any where I would think it would go on the rim of the cap.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

My neighborhood access road flash floods and find myself driving in and out of water 2-3ft deep in my 2wd F150's. My distributor caps on both trucks are greased at the rim of the cap and around each of the spark plug terminals and the coil wire terminal along with the coil plug itself. I also grease the ceramic portion of the spark plugs. I've never had an issue since using the dielectric grease. Been using this on my ATV for years. I do hang a poncho out from under the hood covering the grill of which ever truck I'm in and don't stop until I get through the deep water to try to keep water out of the intake. It works! I've had the filter get damp, but never soaked and neither truck has died in the water. By the way, where the road floods, it's all standing water and not rushing water. I won't die to get to work.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

I use a silicone grease compound, on just about everything from the pins on brakes, orings on oil filters, inside the dizzy, inside the plug wire connectors, any electric wire connector.

here is the brand I use, I cant remember the exact one i have though.
http://www.novagard.com/compounds/pl.html

Last edited by fordtrucknut; 01-07-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Distributor di-electric grease?