Topic Sponsor

Brake lights won't go off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights won't go off?

I have a 97' F250 Power Stroke with a strange problem. I'm posting here since most steering/electrical components are the same as the 1992-1996 F150's.

The brake lights won't go off.

I had a new steering column put in at the local auto repair shop. Everything was fine when I picked it up, then when I got it home I noticed that the brake lights remained on after I parked the truck.

Key on, key off, push brake, let off brake, emergency brake on, emergency brake off - nothing seems to matter. I finally disconnected both batteries which of course turned off the brake lights but reconnecting the batteries turned them back on.

The steering column the shop used was from a vehicle with an airbag & my original did not have an airbag but they made it work. Could this be the issue?

The repair shop is closed until Monday AM.

Where do I look?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a pin switch on the top of the brake pedal lever that goes out when the brake is pressed. probably got moved so its not being opened when brake is let go or is unplugged.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:55 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Yeah man those brake light switches suck. I had a couple melt inside which kept the lights on.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This gets stranger and stranger.

If I start the truck, the brake lights go off when they should and on when they should. I drive it normally - no problem.

When I shut it off and the truck sits for 8-10 hours (e.g., overnight) the brake lights will come back on by themselves as if a little elf is in there pushing on the brake. I re-start the truck & they go off. The cycle repeats the next morning when I wake up & look out the window to see the brake lights have mysteriously come back on overnight - again.

What could be causing this?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked at the brzke light switch? That is where I would start. It may be out of adjustment ever so slightly or starting to fail and is just intermittent now.

Quick Reply: Brake lights won't go off?