Topic Sponsor

Brake lights not working.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake lights not working.

So last night, I noticed my brake lights were not coming on when I hit the pedal. So when I got to the shop this morning, I tested the switch, was getting a solid 12.46 volts coming into the switch, and ground on the side going to the tail lights. So I assumed new switch. Wrong.

After putting in the new switch, and replacing the fuse, I still have no brake lights. The power is there, but it's not getting sent to the lights. I can use a power probe and shoot 12 volts back through the switch, and they work fine. But when I connect the harness, nothing. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 06-06-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to mention, 1991 F150 XLT Lariat.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

What happens if you jumper the BOO connector's wires? Is the BOO installed correctly? Look at this & the NEXT:

(phone app link)

What happens if you press the pedal several times with the engine OFF - do the lights start working? Can you plug in the BOO (not installed on the pedal) and manually (or with pliers) activate it to turn the lights on? If so, the booster may be failing, providing too much assist. There must be some resistance to trigger the BOO.

Quick Reply: Brake lights not working.