Topic Sponsor

Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery?

Hey, my 95 f150 5.0 won't start. I had this problem the other day, I charged the battery and it started right up. This morning, same thing. I had a co worker bring a jumper over and that didn't work so I'm letting it charge and I'll try again and hope it starts. When I try to start it, it just clicks which I believe is the solenoid. The battery gauge reads around 10 or so which I feel like should be fine so I don't think it's the battery but why did it start up after I charged the battery the other day?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

What makes you think 10v is enough? It's a 12v system and the battery should maintain at least 12v. My truck is on charge right now. Left my dome light for on for 3 days and killed the battery. 10v is too low. It may start, but it will probably struggle. If the battery voltage is too low and you repeatedly try cranking the truck, you can damage the solenoid too. My battery will start the truck immediately after removing the charger, but after 24 hours on charge, it's only at 9.8v. When a battery dies, it dies for a reason. Left a light and drained it, bad charging system, just it's time. The clicking is the solenoid not getting enough juice. Jump start the truck, make sure your alternator is charging and replace your battery. I pulled the caps from my battery last night and 5 out of the 6 cells were bubbling while on charge. Pretty good indicator that the draw from the dome light being left on for three days killed the one cell that's not bubbling. I've got to get the truck started tonight when I get off work and drive it the hour home. I can't even buy a AA battery in the Podunk town I'm working in this week!

Last edited by unit505; 03-28-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Mark

Received 2,412 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Jstatefarm
Hey, my 95 f150 5.0 won't start. I had this problem the other day, I charged the battery and it started right up. This morning, same thing. I had a co worker bring a jumper over and that didn't work so I'm letting it charge and I'll try again and hope it starts. When I try to start it, it just clicks which I believe is the solenoid. The battery gauge reads around 10 or so which I feel like should be fine so I don't think it's the battery but why did it start up after I charged the battery the other day?
Either your alt is not charging your battery or you have a bad battery...how old is your battery...they only last 4 or 5 years....do you have a multimeter ?? you can test yourself...if not go to the auto parts store...they will test it for you for free..
Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 AM

I live in a town with less than 500 hundred people so no auto parts store but I'll get her there if it happens again. I didn't leave any lights on so I'm thinking it is just a bad battery that doesn't have enough juice or isn't appropriate for the truck. I just bought the truck about two years ago and it is walmart battery. Ever start. I'm charging the battery now and I'm hopeful it will start.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:43 AM

Alright, thanks for your input guys. I got her started after a quick charge so I think I'm just not getting enough juice from my battery to start her up. I live in Minnesota and it's been a little colder lately since I got her so I'm thinking that's my issue too.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:12 PM

Okay so guess what. It happened again. Any ideas? I'm about to go buy a new battery
Old 03-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Did you check your alternator output? Should be 13.4 - 13.8v. If the alternator is charging, go get the battery.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:10 PM

So my battery is fine. Just had it checked. That leave either a corroded point, alt, or starter. Yea? I'm going to have to have it towed cause I can't get it going at all.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jstatefarm
So my battery is fine. Just had it checked. That leave either a corroded point, alt, or starter. Yea? I'm going to have to have it towed cause I can't get it going at all.
Don't give up! It could so easily be something small. I'd say give a good check at wiring. It's 55 sunday where I am in MN and it would be a good day to look for any corroded wires.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:11 PM

Truck started right up this morning. Now it won't start again. Ugh, so annoying.

Quick Reply: Battery?