Topic Sponsor

airbag light stays on - 95

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default airbag light stays on - 95

just picked up the 95 flare side and it has a few problems, figured I would start here. The airbag light stays on, no beeps, blinks, etc., just steady on, after hours of google and other searches I haven't found any answers. anybody have some ideas?

Thanks,
Old 04-17-2014, 10:37 PM

55 views and nobody with any insight? I recently purchased a set of Ford manuals, quite a bit of info, once I get a chance I will try to troubleshoot and post up any findings.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:03 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Have you tried pulling codes? I don't have airbags in my truck so I can't help much. The light comes on in my friends mustang and his is because he needs to replace his clock spring or something. I don't remember if his airbag light blinked on its own or if he had to do something to get the code from it.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's your clock spring. Mine was doing the same thing. Airbag light stayed on. I bet your cruise, or horn don't work either?? Its 99% of the time the clock spring under the airbag. Pretty simple to replace
Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Emt/fireford
It's your clock spring. Mine was doing the same thing. Airbag light stayed on. I bet your cruise, or horn don't work either?? Its 99% of the time the clock spring under the airbag. Pretty simple to replace

no cruise but the horn does work, I was thinking it could be the clockspring as that seems to be the culprit behind most issues I was able to find,

Thanks for the tips, I will post up findings when complete.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

If the airbag light just stays on and does not flash either the module isn't plugged in or its not working. Broken clock spring should flash its own code, usually code 32 or 34.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:19 AM

truck didn't display any codes last time I checked, may get time to start checking this weekend,

any more possible tips or ideas appreciated,

thanks,
Old 01-28-2015, 11:07 PM

well I have finally gotten back to doing a little troubleshooting, had to pull out the ford manual.

1 - found the air bag module unplugged and reconnected

2 - get the "chime" dinging

3 - get error code 13

4 - I believe I saw code 51 at least once, couldn't replicate a second time

I will start the next sequence of test (pin test and isolation of clockspring to eliminate source of short in airbag circuit, already tested with airbag off, still get code 13 fault)

I hope to be able to identify the specific issue without having to resort to part changing, still not sure it isn't the clockspring, a little more disassembly for access to the connectors I should know fairly quickly.

the airbag module is a PITA for access
Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I`m not sure where you are pulling codes from,but the air bag light is your code reader,when ignition turns to run position,air bag light will light up,if no codes,it should turn out,with codes,it should flash,count flashes and that is your code,I`m pretty sure when light stays on,module is not arming system.This is the way I`ve always read them and is relly easy to diagnose from there.Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Country Boy

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bscottie
well I have finally gotten back to doing a little troubleshooting, had to pull out the ford manual.

1 - found the air bag module unplugged and reconnected

2 - get the "chime" dinging

3 - get error code 13

4 - I believe I saw code 51 at least once, couldn't replicate a second time
Chime means the airbag light circuit is open.

Code 13 I *think* means either primary crash sensor open (there are two) or battery power lost, not sure on that. Have to look it up.

Code 51 means the module detected a fault that could cause the airbag to deploy inadvertently. When this happens it cooks it's internal fuse to open the firing circuit. This fuse can be replaced, but Ford doesn't recommend doing so. If this were my truck I'd say bull**** to them and replace it anyway AFTER correcting the original problem that caused the controller to deliberately blow it in the first place.

Quick Reply: airbag light stays on - 95