Topic Sponsor

Airbag crash sensors.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Airbag crash sensors.

Greetings again.

I am getting code 13 from my AB warning light. I have found a short to ground when checking the resistance between the PK/O wire and GND on the diagnostic monitor connector (disconnected). When I disconnect the connector at the RH front sensor, the short goes away, so it looks like the sensor is at fault. (I recently had a front end impact when a brake line blew out). But, when I short together the two non grounded sensor wires on the sensor connector (sensor unplugged) the short circuit at the diagnostic monitor reappears, as if one of the wires is shorted to ground, But when I remove that short, and test both those wires separately, no short circuit is indicated.
Does anyone know what DCR reading I should see at the three wires coming out of the sensor? The reading on the RH one are completely different from those on the left.
Also, does anyone have a complete wiring diagram showing the wire connections between the sensors and the monitor. The wire colors going to the sensor are not the same as the PK/O wire connecting to the monitor.
Thanks.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:22 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

To help you, we have to be able to review all your truck's details each time we want to reply. So everything needs to be in your signature. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)

Click these & read the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:56 PM

Good point. I thought all that info was already in my profile. I have added the info, but, FYI, here it is.

1995 F150 XLT stepside with 302 V8.
Living in Dade City, Florida.

BTW, does anyone know what the DCR reading should be on the three pins on the front crash sensors?

Thanks again.

Last edited by 75 cruiser; 07-29-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:17 PM

It may be in your profile, but it needs to be in your signature so it appears automatically with each post - that's the link I provided above.

What is "DCR"? If you mean "DMM" (Digital MultiMeter), the circuit diagram I posted indicates the sensor's internal wiring. Most of the pins should be closed/shorted, except across the crash contacts, until the ball hits the target. Then they'd all be shorted closed, until the ball rolls back to the magnet.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:05 PM

DCR is Direct Current Resistance, IOW Resistance in Ohms, using a DMM.

I checked for continuity to ground at the crash sensor connections on the two Diagnostics Monitor connectors (after removing the shorting strip from the gray connector). None were shorted to ground! I can find no other reason for a code 13.

Should I now assume that the diagnostics monitor is at fault?

BTW. I followed your link to the signature page. It had a text box and another box where I can upload a photo. I don't know what to add in the text box, and there was no a form to fill in about the vehicle and my location. I have already answered the questionnaire about my vehicle and location, which I found in my profile questionnaire. Those details now appear when you click on my name, just like the info that appears when I click on yours.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:15 PM

Steve.

You'll have to explain this signature thing. I don't see any signature, or any of your trucks details appearing automatically in your post.

I uploaded a photo from my signature page and also into my profile, yet neither appear in my posts.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 75 cruiser
DCR is Direct Current Resistance, IOW Resistance in Ohms, using a DMM.
<5 Ohms / Continuity / short circuit
I can find no other reason for a code 13.
Did you read those captions? 13 does not refer to the crash sensors.
Should I now assume that the diagnostics monitor is at fault?
No. You should read those captions, and diagnose the fault.
I don't know what to add in the text box...
EVERYTHING about your truck.
Those details now appear when you click on my name, just like the info that appears when I click on yours.
Great. Now make them appear under your post, so we can read the post AND all the truck's details at one time. Delete them from your profile if you don't want them stored in 2 places.
I don't see any signature...
Go to your BBS options, and find the checkboxes for "display images/signatures/avatars".
...any of your trucks details appearing automatically in your post.
When I need help fixing my truck, I'll make it easy for those who want to help me. Right now, I don't. But anything you want to know about my truck is in my signature link.

Last edited by Steve83; 07-30-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:07 PM

Thanks Steve.

Based on other F150 code tables, code 13 applies to a short circuit to ground at the crash sensor inputs to the monitor and the connections to the air bag. I have checked all of those circuits and have found no short circuits, although I have only checked the circuits with the monitor disconnected. I have not yet checked the monitor itself.
So, besides the crash sensor circuits and the air bag circuit is there something else that I am missing?

Thanks. again.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:51 PM

Based on other F150 code tables, code 13 applies to a short circuit to ground at the crash sensor inputs to the monitor...
Then talk to the people who published those tables. I can't help you.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Then talk to the people who published those tables. I can't help you.
I was simply explaining to you about the codes in other posts. When you didn't agree that code 13 applied to the sensor circuits, instead of getting hurt, you could've been more helpful by telling me the possible causes of code 13, like the possible areas in the air bag circuit that problems have been known to occur, instead of simply telling me to read the caption.
Also, you shouldn't get so hung up on insisting that I include a signature. Whether my truck info appears in the message body or in a signature should not be such a major issue.

Quick Reply: Airbag crash sensors.