Topic Sponsor

Accessories drawing when truck is off

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessories drawing when truck is off

So I had a post before about my sound system eating batteries (thanks Chris for responding to that) but I went into a car audio shop and he told me that my sound system isn't so huge that it should condone eating batteries and that something could be drawing power even with the ignition off. He said a bunch of other stuff but I don't really trust these guys. Anyways, I shut the truck off and put a test light to all the fuses to see if any were drawing power and here's what I got.
#4 warning buzzer,chime module, trailer exterior lamp relay, exterior lamps, instrument illumination
#5 air bag restraint
#8 radio memory (which is suppose to do that from my understanding)
#9 power point (don't even know what this is)
#12 pdl (which I don't have), electronic shift motor 4x4 (which I'm only 2wd), power windows/power lumbar (which I don't have) key switch
#13 stop Hazzard lamps, abs, speed control, stop sense for: engine control and auto trans shift interlock (not sure what this is either)
#16 cigarette lighter (diagnostics tool power)

everything was off when I tested this and the doors weren't open. Also, I think maybe the #1 fuse was lit. Can't remember what that one is right now and can't check cause I have the battery disconnected. The shift tube broke in half so I'm replacing that and a door latch cable. I will be going with a dual battery setup once I can afford it but until then I have to figure this out lol.
thanks for the help guys

Last edited by Tfraser; 01-07-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-08-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Those all sound like they should have power to them I think. Having power to the fuse doesn't tell you if the circuit is using power - it only tells you that there is power available to the circuit.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:18 PM

So is there any way to figure out definitely what each should be pulling for power so that I can putell a voltmeter to them? And also find out for sure what should and should not have power with the key off. The only reason I'd like to know that stuff is because some didn't have power at all with the key off.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

Ghris_1 is correct. Power - Volts X Amps. So you must have voltage and current. Search Youtube for measuring IOD. Ignition off draw. Once you can measure it, it is a simple task of pulling fuses and reading your Ammeter to find out which circuits are drawing power. Total IOD should be no more than 0.050A or 50mA as I recall. A phone charger (with nothing plugged in) will slowly run down your battery.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:59 PM

HAPPEN to me and this is what I found. The key could be removed from the ignition switch cylinder with out turning the truck completely so everything still had power. $14 key cylinder fixed that problem. Make sure your key is at that little pointer try pulling the key out in other positions. It takes 2 minutes to do this.