Topic Sponsor

Absolutely no power after the starter wouldn't disengage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Absolutely no power after the starter wouldn't disengage?

Hello. I went to start my 1991 f150 and it made a loud screeching sound so I turned it off, but the starter just kept going. I pulled the key out and while the screeching had stopped the starter continued on. I popped the hood to disconnect the battery but when I did, it died. I went to disconnect the battery anyway and found the battery was extremely warm.
My dad came over with a new solenoid but wanted to hear the issue itself, so we reconnected the battery, went to turn it on and now there is absolutely no power. No lights, no door locks, nothing. The battery has still got power, triple checked it, but I'm not real sure where to go from here. Open to any ideas on where to start.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:57 AM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Most likely you just need to clean the inside of the battery cables where they go on the battery posts. Also make sure the battery cables tighten up properly.

If there is any juice at all in your battery, you should get at least the dash lights and gauges to respond. Make sure the positive battery cable where it hooks onto the fender mounted solenoid with the other smaller wires, is okay and the bolt on the solenoid is tight.