Topic Sponsor

96 4.9 cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 4.9 cranks but won't start

I was driving my truck home the other night on the highway and I felt a a slight buck then a 1/2 mile later my truck died and would crank and not start, here and there when I would try and start it itd get a little hesitation to start but that's it and I'm getting a code P0320 ignition/distributor input circuit malfunction. This is the 3rd time my trucks done this the first time it turned out to be my timing gears the second time it was my cap and rotor and now I don't know what it is. I did check for spark and no spark spark I then checked to see if the distributor was turning and it was bucking but no turning when I originally checked the distributor a year ago before I found out my timing gears were the problem it looked fine, sometime this week I'll be checking to see if the cam shaft is moving to see if it's the timing gears again. My question is it makes no sense to me that the distributor is bad when I checked it a year ago and it makes no sense that the gears are bad again, am I missing a 3rd potential option?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

WOW Is your distributor turning now when you spin the engine over? I assume it is. If the distributor is turning, the timing gears are not sheared as the distributor drives off the camshaft. The timing gears could have slipped but not likely.

From what your code shows, I would guess the pickup in the distributor is bad.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Johnson
I was driving my truck home the other night on the highway and I felt a a slight buck then a 1/2 mile later my truck died and would crank and not start, here and there when I would try and start it itd get a little hesitation to start but that's it and I'm getting a code P0320 ignition/distributor input circuit malfunction. This is the 3rd time my trucks done this the first time it turned out to be my timing gears the second time it was my cap and rotor and now I don't know what it is. I did check for spark and no spark spark I then checked to see if the distributor was turning and it was bucking but no turning when I originally checked the distributor a year ago before I found out my timing gears were the problem it looked fine, sometime this week I'll be checking to see if the cam shaft is moving to see if it's the timing gears again. My question is it makes no sense to me that the distributor is bad when I checked it a year ago and it makes no sense that the gears are bad again, am I missing a 3rd potential option?

It could poosibly be the gear on the bottom of the distributor
Old 01-08-2016, 10:47 PM

my 88 5.8 did that but i'm not sure if yours is the same , it was the tfi module that sits on the back of the distubator

Last edited by solid axle; 01-08-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:02 AM

Sorry to reply so late I couldn't get logged back in, so found out it was the distributor gear so I replaced the distributor then when we got the new one in and we're timing the truck it still sounded like crap so we took the distributor out again then found out the gear on the camshaft is busted so now I have to get it towed to a shop to replace the camshaft...how fun.

Quick Reply: 96 4.9 cranks but won't start