Topic Sponsor

95 No Spark. Crank no start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 No Spark. Crank no start.

I have a 95 4.9 that will crank but not start. Replaced rotor, cap, wires, plugs, ICM. I'm getting power to the coil but no spark out of the coil. Replaced coil. Same problem. Thinking the coil may be bad one, replaced again. Still no spark out of coil. However, I show power going into the coil.
We messed with it for a couple hours. All of a sudden we got spark out of the coil. Then it started right up. Drove to work on Saturday. Didn't drive on Sunday. Get in today and back to crank, no start.
Replaced relay 1 for the power train. Originally checked the fuel pressure and it's fine. I can hear the fuel pump come on when I turn on key.

Any ideas??
Old 10-06-2014, 05:28 PM
WECSOGer, jr gearhead

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pulled codes yet? If the ICM is new and working, coil is new and working, still no spark, I would lean towards bad PIP in distributor. Had similar problem, new ICM cured it until it failed and brought the older PIP/dist down with it. Replaced both second time around, and no problems since. Try pulling codes, there's a neat code reader that's got a digital screen, so no counting flashes necessary. There could be codes stored whether there's a CEL or not.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt Obvious
Pulled codes yet? If the ICM is new and working, coil is new and working, still no spark, I would lean towards bad PIP in distributor. Had similar problem, new ICM cured it until it failed and brought the older PIP/dist down with it. Replaced both second time around, and no problems since. Try pulling codes, there's a neat code reader that's got a digital screen, so no counting flashes necessary. There could be codes stored whether there's a CEL or not.

Did you get the code reader @ Autozone or what? No check engine light but I'm up for trying anything. I checked the PIP by checking the 6th wire coming out of the ICM and it flashed when cranking so I skipped the PIP. Since I wasn't getting any spark out of the coil (and the coil, rotor, and cap are new, I moved away from the distributor.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:58 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

I second the PIP. The problem with testing the PIP is that it can fail at completely random times. If you test it at a working cycle, it will throw you in another direction like you did. You could try testing once again, but I can almost guarantee that's the problem. I had to deal with it twice. I bought a new distributor at O'Rielly's the last time and haven't had a problem since (been over 2 years and 46k miles).
Old 10-07-2014, 07:33 AM
WECSOGer, jr gearhead

I got mine at oreilly's, but I'd imagine it's the same one. When mine went kaput, there was no CEL, just stored code.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by memoniz
I second the PIP. The problem with testing the PIP is that it can fail at completely random times. If you test it at a working cycle, it will throw you in another direction like you did. You could try testing once again, but I can almost guarantee that's the problem. I had to deal with it twice. I bought a new distributor at O'Rielly's the last time and haven't had a problem since (been over 2 years and 46k miles).
How hard is it to change the distributor? And so I understand, the PIP is in the distributor, right? I can go step by step in the Haynes. I've done lots of work on my truck and all my cars, so I think I will be fine.

Last edited by shout2lord; 10-08-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:13 AM
WECSOGer, jr gearhead

Yeah, PIP is inside the dist. It's possible to change out just the PIP, but it's a bigger pain than swapping out the whole dist, so some, including me, just opt for new distributor. It's not a big deal to change it out the dist, I'm sure there's a how to on the forums for the I6. I did it on my 302 a few weeks ago, first time doing that, and other than the wrong dist from oreilly's it was pretty straight forward. Just bring the old one with you to make sure it's the same size. Though that may not matter with the I6, it did with the V8, the bottom of the shaft and the top didn't fit the engine spot, it was a smidge too big.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Sounds like the PIP. I6 has a different distributor than the V8's but they both use the same PIP

I think this is the right picture. PITA to change the PIP by the way. Changing the distributor is much easier (but more $$$)
Old 10-08-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

When I changed mine, I went by the Haynes book. I didn't mark everything like the book said, just a couple of reference marks. Use your phone (assuming you have a smart phone) and take pictures as you go so you can refer back to the old set up. I took my time doing it and it took about 30 minutes.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 PM

Holy freakin' cow....started right up after putting in the new distributor. Thank you so much for your help.

Now for a rant...before I got the book, I bought a ICM. Autozone didn't tell me I needed to put dielectric grease on the back of the new one, and it didn't come in the box. When I bought the new distributor, Autozone didn't know you take out the old shaft to use with the new one. OK...off my soapbox.

Quick Reply: 95 No Spark. Crank no start.