Topic Sponsor

95' F150 battery keeps on dying

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 95' F150 battery keeps on dying

Hey guys, I'm new here, and I'm also pretty new to fixing trucks because this is my first vehicle and I'm poor so I cannot just bring the damn thing to a shop and get it all fixed up.

OK heres the problem. It first started with the (aftermarket) stereo stop playing music and reading "REWIRING". SO I checked ALL of the wiring going to my tweeters, car door speakers, subwoofers, and amp. I fixed things that looked a little iffy, but for the most part, it was done properly. After that the problem continued, which pissed me off.

About 1 whole month of that, and then my truck was having trouble starting up. I got stuck 20 mins away from my house, called a tow truck, they jump started me, they left, and 5 mins later it stalled out so i had to call a flatbed to bring me home. Very aggravated after that as well.

After that, I bought a new battery. Worked fine for 2 days. Then it died. Redneck friends told me to test the alternator by taking the positive terminal off the battery while its running and it should run. Sure as hell it turned off. Brought the alternator to Advanced, they said it was fine, but I still bought a new one. Drove the truck for 2 days, guess what happens? It dies again.

AFTER THAT, I buy a new silinoid (or however you spell it) I hook it up right, everything is on the way it should be. Still. she dies on me

AFTER AFTER THAT, I go down to my starter, I unscrew it, and it kind of deteriorates on me. Redneck friend said its because there was an exhaust leak near it so it probably damaged it. so I buy a new starter and fix the exhaust leak. Remember, Im still poor, that didnt change from the beginning of the story, so now Im very poor and sad, and still dont have a working truck.

SOO after that, I install the starter, I feel good about it, I drive out to watch the superbowl at a friends house. I crank it up, It wont start. I had my buddy follow me home so he could give me a jump start every 5 mins on the side of the road.

All of the wires look fine, all of the fuses are fine, brand new terminals as well.

What is the next step? I love this truck and I dont want to have to get rid of it, F150 ALL THE WAY!!!

Last edited by domdelbuco; 02-03-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:39 AM

Also guys, Ive had my amp, subs, and stereo unplugged since I bought the alternator for troubleshooting purposes.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Pull the positive battery cable and put a meter inline to see how much current is being drawn with the ignition off. One at a time start pulling fuses until the current draw drops a significant amount. Then go from there.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:24 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

BTW, don't pull any cables off the battery while it's running. There's a good chance you could fry some electronics.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:58 AM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

U need a 3g alternator to run amps and subs,the 2g is not big enough. Also clean all he grounds.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aktech
U need a 3g alternator to run amps and subs,the 2g is not big enough. Also clean all he grounds.
Grounds are clean. Amps and subs are completely disconnected, took apart the dashboard and cleaned all the wires, made sure all of the wiring was good. Bought another new alternator and got it tested so its good. Not sure what to do guys, I love this truck and really want to keep it running.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Crownman
Pull the positive battery cable and put a meter inline to see how much current is being drawn with the ignition off. One at a time start pulling fuses until the current draw drops a significant amount. Then go from there.
The truck dies as soon as I take the positive battery cable off, and the lady at advanced told me never to do that. But my friend has the same truck and he did it right in front of me; So I did it anyways and it died exactly after I took the positive off.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:22 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Stop doing that. That's not how you test an alternator anymore. If your buddy jumped off a bridge does that make it okay for you to do it just because he survived?

Break out a voltmeter and test it right.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Stop doing that. That's not how you test an alternator anymore. If your buddy jumped off a bridge does that make it okay for you to do it just because he survived?

Break out a voltmeter and test it right.
Okay, I will stop lol
Old 02-05-2014, 08:58 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

OK, if all else fails, lets try logic. You put in a new battery and that lasted 2 days. So it's not getting charged. You put in a new alternator and once again 2 days. Assuming they both work right, you must have an open circuit somewhere that is not letting your battery charge. Or I suppose a crossed circuit. I would check for codes first ( learned that from everybody on this site), have the alternator and battery checked again by someone you feel that knows what their doing in case of damage, check your fuses and relays in the engine compartment, and last but not least trace wiring to these locations. And if all else fails, you can probably find an electrician with more than a basic understanding of electricity that can probably tell you what the problem is.

Quick Reply: 95' F150 battery keeps on dying