Topic Sponsor

94 F150 transmission wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 F150 transmission wiring

Hey folks, new here with a few questions. I have a 94 F150 4x4, 5speed manual Eddie Bauer edition with a 5.0L. My speedo and odometer, turn signals and brake lights are out. I've checked all the fuses in the cab as well as the ones in the engine comp and their all good with power. I noticed the wiring going to the transmission were in bad shape and a couple of the connectors are mission. I've been trolling around the site and can't figure out what their for. The speed sensor is connected to the rear axle so I'm a little confused. Not much experience with these trucks.....94 F150 transmission wiring-img_1020.jpg 94 F150 transmission wiring-img_1021.jpg94 F150 transmission wiring-img_1022.jpg
Old 02-09-2017, 12:34 PM

Forgot to mention the OD light and 4x4 light are flashing on the cluster. Not sure if related or what...
Old 02-09-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The speedo/odo (PSOM) will be on the same fuse as the interior light so that's a good first indicator for power to that circuit.
Some transmissions did have a speed sensor on the trans - that may be your 2nd picture possibly.
The one in the first picture I don't recall seeing before, but usually if there's a sensor it should be plugged in unless somebody's thrown a unit from a different year in.
The bottom picture shows the switch which should be what lights the 4x4 lights.
A flashing overdrive light often indicates internal issues with the transmission like heat or pressure.
Could all be related to missing wiring though.
What's the history on this truck ? The transmission mount is undone - did you just swap the trans ? Did you buy it like that ? It makes a difference to know the backstory on this one.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:04 PM

Default Trans wiring

No issues or back story, paid 1500 as a work truck. Nothing swapped out or replaced as far as I know. The vin indicates all the correct drivetrain, engine etc. are there just those issues going on underneath. Once I got it home and started playing around with it I noticed both the hazards and turn signals don't work. When I try and move the mirror switch for the pass side the marker lights go on?!? However I checked all fuses and their all getting power, no birds nest in the engine harness, nothing burned or cut/replaced under the dash. Just figured all of these little issues might be tied in with something bad, a switch or sensor or something. It starts and runs great considering the latter. No hesitation or jerking when going highway speed, nothing.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:58 PM

Default Tranny harness

well I removed the plugs from the harness and their in bad shape. I noticed the wiring leading to the front side of the transfer case broken. I did see a plug on the back side of the transfer case, toward the rear drive shaft with no wiring to it at all. I removed the connector and found out it's my VSS?!?

Any ideas on why it's there while I have one on my rear axle as well. See images....

Not sure about the harness or what it leads to. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated....
Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 PM

Some of them have a speed sensor at the transmission end of things as well as one on the rear diff.
Hazards and turn signals could be related to the flasher units (there's 2 of them) or more likely your multi function (turn signal) switch is bad.
The mirror thing is kind of strange. Haven't heard that one before.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:49 PM

Default Wiring

any thoughts on the harness the sensor connects to? There are three connectors including the speed sensor. I believe the harness can be repaired if necessary, however the wiring leading to the speed sensor is gone!!!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:58 PM

Maybe time to try to hunt up a wiring diagram. Everything's color coded so that might help you figure out just which wires should be where.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:39 PM

Default Tranny

well just an update, was the wiring after all. Got the sensors hooked up and traced the wires down and sure enough the back up sensor was missin lol. Any way all fixed. Thanks for the help!!!!!
Old 09-26-2017, 04:47 PM

Default Similar Issues I Think

Once you got your wiring straight did it fix the overdrive light flashing? I have some other electric gremlins going on as well with my '95 F150. Probably a wiring issue?