Topic Sponsor

93 Ford 5.8L no spark

Old 06-24-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Ford 5.8L no spark

I have a 93 Ford with a 351 W carburated engine. I was driving up a hill and the truck died on me. I thought fuel pump at first but was wrong. I checked for spark and have none at the coil or cylinders, I checked multiple spots to isolate bad wires. I went though and tested everything according to the "east auto diagnostics" link I saw posted in other threads. I have power to the coil 12.8V. Using test light at the coil ground I have no spark though. I went on to the next test to check the ICM and probed wire 6 and using an LED test light, I got a pulse reading from the PIP indicating a bad Ignition control module. I replaced it and still have no spark. I replaced it with a NAPA proformer part. I dont know where to go next to test anything and need some advice please. Sorry to ramble but I wanted to give as much info as possoble on what has been tested. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:10 PM

I also am under the impression that 1 side of the coil is 12V and the other is ground. If so, when I put test light to the 2 posts it should light with the key on right? It does not.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue going on took a while to figure it out but it ended up being the distributor, changed it and it fired up on the first try
Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 PM

I figured it out today. It was a broken wire on the coil, negative side. I just started poking wires with picks and checking continuity and got lucky. Fixed the wire and fired right up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 Ford 5.8L no spark