Topic Sponsor

92 f150 starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 f150 starter issue

The starter engaged and hung up on my truck today. I have had the solenoid hang on a ford before when I was starting it but I have never had one engage while I was driving. I didn't hear it,(pretty loud radio) I actually smelled it before I heard anything. until I got home from a 5 mile round trip. I know It didn't hang up when I started it. I got a new starter from Napa and a new fender mounted relay. This truck has a relay on the fender and a solenoid on the starter. My question is this, My father in law is borrowing my truck Monday and I am worried if there is anything that I missed. Could the ignition switch cause this or is it most likely the starter mounted solenoid. The starter and the relay were both new four months ago and Napa made good on the starter I just don't want it to happen again. Few extra notes. I turned the truck off and removed the key but the starter motor wouldn't stop until I pulled the battery cable. When I put the new fender mounted relay on while the old starter was still installed I had continuity between the two large terminals on the relay at all times. When I installed the new starter that went away. I am hoping that the starter mounted solenoid was the problem. It starts and runs fine right now.

Last edited by oakleysdad; 10-06-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

You should have tested the relays (old & new) OFF the truck - not connected to anything. This shows what's inside:

(phone app link)

This shows the starter, solenoid, & cranking circuit:

(phone app link)

Are there ANY modifications/repairs/damage to the wiring harness? An alarm? A radio? Backup camera? Collision/fire/rodent? Trailer connector or brake controller?
The following users liked this post:
oakleysdad (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually took the old fender mounted relay apart this morning and it was in perfect condition. Not even a hint of burning on the contacts. There are also no modifications to this truck except a four flat trailer wiring harness. This is however my third starter in three years so I believe I have some sort of electrical problem that I am missing.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:23 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

...or you're buying bad starters. What's the brand, PN, & source? Shop for a MotorCraft. Click these & read the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

Who put the trailer connector in, and how? Does it work right?

Quick Reply: 92 f150 starter issue