Topic Sponsor

88 f150 302 no spark or injection.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 f150 302 no spark or injection.

-turns over
-battery is good
-Relays are only 3 months old
-ignition coil works
-ecm works
-spark plugs are good
-fuel injectors are good
I think it's a wiring problem but I have already looked at all of the wires and connections. Any ideas on what to check out?
Old 02-29-2016, 01:01 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

If you are getting power up to the coil through one of the little wires that hooks onto the coil, with the ignition switch turned on, I would give you good odds that the ignition module on the side of the distributor has gone dead.

You will need a special tool to remove and reinstall the ignition module. Also on a 302 you will probably have to rotate the distributor to get at the bolts holding the ignition module on. Make some marks before you loosen the hold down bolt so you can get the distributor close tom back in time.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with 88xlt. It sounds like you have a bad ignition module or stator/PIP (Profile ignition pickup) sensor. The stator provides engine RPM, cylinder identification and cam/crank position. The signal passes through the ignition module to the PCM, so it would be a good idea to replace the distributor with a reman which comes with the stator and ignition module.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:16 AM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by cts2433
The signal passes through the ignition module to the PCM, so it would be a good idea to replace the distributor with a reman which comes with the stator and ignition module.
Well, Rebuilt distributors for Fords have a very bad reputation. You will likely get one with a bad PIP. The rebuilt distributors aren't rebuilt at all, for the most part, they are likely just tested to see if they put out spark and polished up and reboxed for sale.

Most rebuilts have PIP sensors that will run a while then stall and restart after sitting a while.

If you choose a replacement distributor get a NEW aftermarket distributor. Just make sure it has the same material(cast or steel) as your old distributor.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, go with a new one. Make sure that you get the one with the cast gear (for hyd flat tappet cam). The steel gear is for a hyd roller cam which ford introduced in '93 model year.

Quick Reply: 88 f150 302 no spark or injection.