Topic Sponsor

'88 F-150 Fusible links

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '88 F-150 Fusible links

New guy here, hello everyone. I have a few questions for you guys on an ongoing project. The truck is an '88 F150 302 2WD, AOD Trans, 1/2 ton axle w/ open diff. I have at least 1 burnt fusible link, will be testing with a multimeter once it arrives but this particular one burnt in half. Instead of buying a new 16 ga fusible link, could I do an inline fuse to help ease repairs incase it blows out again? I have 7 fusible links hooked up to my solenoid right now ranging from 12 ga to 20 ga and I would like to replace all of them with something similar to this
Amazon Amazon
. How would I calculate the proper fuse for the connection if this is possible? This truck is an electrical nightmare, and it is being made worse by parts being removed ( SMOG pump, EGR, and A/c as soon as the pulley arrives), so there are like 40 dead connectors laying around and I plan on unwrapping and testing/repairing the wiring harness front to back. The question is, What can I do about the connectors not in use? Can I cut them back and cap the wires with a butt connector crimped on both sides, or some kind of crimp or solder on wire cap, then re-loom everything?

Edit: I found the crimp end connectors

Last edited by Hunter; 11-06-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found my answer on the fusible links, I just have to find out what caused it to fail. What about deleting unused connectors from the wiring harness. Has anybody done this?
Old 11-07-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Do not replace fusible links with fuses - they don't work the same way, and it takes some engineering calculations to convert. If you want a truck with fewer fusible links, buy a newer one. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)

There is no advantage to cutting off connectors - it just increases the chances for problems, and makes it harder to add back those missing necessary systems. Yes, '87-91 F150s have problematic wiring - if it's too much for you, buy a different truck.

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: '88 F-150 Fusible links