Topic Sponsor

87 Fender Solenoid/Relay Tapping

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Fender Solenoid/Relay Tapping

Hey fellas,

I have an '87 302 4x4 with multiple electrical issues. The most important being trouble with starting. Here it is, years ago I had problems with my ignition switch and didn't the money to replace it so it was bypassed with a push/button start. But, miraculously a year or so later it started working again without issue. Go figure. A few months ago I tore the engine down replaced all the gaskets, put it back together. At first I was getting power to the engine but the crank was extremely weak. It was suggested to be a timing issue so I triple checked. Thought maybe the battery was dead though it was new. Tried jumping it even test the battery, nothin. Eventually it stopped even trying to crank and was getting a tapping sound on the relay like it was out. Changed it 4x. Changed all connectors and cables to starter but not the pos bat. Had starter test, fine. In between all this ignition went again but haven't changed it out yet. Just bypassed it. Tried arching it with a driver and still nothing. Typically it would at least turnover even with the weak charge when done but not this time.

Could it be a grounding issue with the relay/solenoid maybe?

Sorry for the long post but I have no idea. Even hauled it to a shop and the guy is as lost as I am.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by ARK-F150; 04-08-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

I would think that if the solenoid/relay if clicking that it wouldn't be a grounding issue. Battery is good....have you put a volt meter to the solenoid/relay to make sure the right amount of power if any is getting through when you try to start it? Have you tried pulling codes? I would try that just to make sure the brain isn't going, they do weird things when they start to die.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Apparently the wires to the relay were crossed. I'll be getting it back this week so I can check to see what the shop guy did. He ended up getting the push button to work but the ignition switch still isn't working. I guess there's a short since it come and goes? The computer wouldn't affect that right?

Quick Reply: 87 Fender Solenoid/Relay Tapping