Topic Sponsor

1989 f150 startin issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 f150 startin issues

Hiya I'm trying to figure out what's wrong here my 1989 f150 302 aod won't start with the key all the accessories turn on when I turn the key to turn it on nothin happens it makes a click noise only after i release the key but I can turn it on with a screwdriver at the starter solenoid I've replaced the battery, starter solenoid,starter, and ignition switch any suggestions on what I should check now
Old 07-29-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site!
Unsure what is meant by replacing the ignition switch - is this the assembly on the steering column down by the brake pedal, or other?
Common failures are a pot-metal horseshoe piece up by the key tumbler that will fail. The key will roll 'funny' from what one is used to when this goes. So common that a seasoned Ford dealer parts guy won't even have to look anything up - he'll know exactly what happened and what part is needed.
Another failure becoming more common with age is a failure of the true ignition switch assembly, down on the column by the brake pedal - it will fall apart. Important to get the new switch aligned correctly before tightening down, or else the throw of the rotary key won't be enough to engage the Start position.
Apologies if you've already checked these - it's tough to gauge the mechanical aptitude of new posters. We're here to help, but some problems are a challenge to visualize without actually being there to see.
If nothing else, measure the voltage on the starter solenoid control wire, possible a bad solenoid was replaced with a new bad solenoid, etc...?
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by wde3477
Welcome to the site!
Unsure what is meant by replacing the ignition switch - is this the assembly on the steering column down by the brake pedal, or other?
Common failures are a pot-metal horseshoe piece up by the key tumbler that will fail. The key will roll 'funny' from what one is used to when this goes. So common that a seasoned Ford dealer parts guy won't even have to look anything up - he'll know exactly what happened and what part is needed.
Another failure becoming more common with age is a failure of the true ignition switch assembly, down on the column by the brake pedal - it will fall apart. Important to get the new switch aligned correctly before tightening down, or else the throw of the rotary key won't be enough to engage the Start position.
Apologies if you've already checked these - it's tough to gauge the mechanical aptitude of new posters. We're here to help, but some problems are a challenge to visualize without actually being there to see.
If nothing else, measure the voltage on the starter solenoid control wire, possible a bad solenoid was replaced with a new bad solenoid, etc...?
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Thanks for the reply and yes sir I meant the one on the lower column I even slapped the old on back on same result . I don't think it's the tumbler I had a look and it's in one piece. I've never used a multimeter but I have one . Also the solenoid control wire would that be the top plug on the solenoid?.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:01 PM

Here's a video if it helps at all
Old 09-07-2017, 10:50 PM

If you can start the truck by crossing the fender mounted solenoid, it's the solenoid itself causing the problem. You can get a bad one all day long. Its worth going with a pricey one. Trust me, I've went through 5. If you got a new one and it still only starts by crossing, then that leads me to believe the ignition switch. Mounted on column. Either the ignition switch itself, or the rod that enables the ignition switch. Both cheap and easy fix.