Topic Sponsor

1988 f250 died

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 f250 died

Monday I was driving home from work and my truck died while making a turn. I put it in park and cycled the key to no response. I can't hear the fuel pump as usual, the truck won't crank, no power to the radio or turn signals. I cleaned and checked my battery connections and was able to crank the engine by jumping the solenoid. I still have headlights come light and hazards. I replaced the ignition switch today with no change. It's got a 5.8 with c6 and 4x4. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-15-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

It sounds like you lost connection from the solenoid up to the ignition switch. I think there is a fusible link in there somewhere, that is likely what is burned out.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Use a test light to see if you have power at the little push on wire on the fender mount solenoid when you turn the key to start.
If you do it's probably a bad solenoid.
If you don't you have to follow that wire (colour coded) with a test light from (or to) the ignition switch on the column to find where power stops getting through.
Doesn't explain why the truck died suddenly though. Could you have a bad ground connection somewhere ?
Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88xlt
It sounds like you lost connection from the solenoid up to the ignition switch. I think there is a fusible link in there somewhere, that is likely what is burned out.
I finally got a chance to check it and it seems the wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid is grounded somewhere. I put my voltage meter between the wire to my solenoid and my positive battery post and showed voltage, when it should only show voltage from the wire to negative battery post with the key in the start position. Am I correct? If so, does anyone have any insight of common issues resulting in this? It's ten degrees out now and I don't especially want to spend excessive amounts chasing wires.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by 88xlt
It sounds like you lost connection from the solenoid up to the ignition switch. .
I guess I didn't explain this very well. Basically all the battery power is connected at the one side of the solenoid VIA all the wires or eyelets(cable ends) being bolted together there(at one side of the solenoid).

I wanted to say you lost power going UP TO the ignition switch from the connection on the solenoid. That, in my estimation, is why nothing that normally operates when you need to have the switch turned on works.

I didn't mean to imply that you lost power from the ignition switch BACK TO the solenoid. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:35 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by sapper1984
I finally got a chance to check it and it seems the wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid is grounded somewhere. I put my voltage meter between the wire to my solenoid and my positive battery post and showed voltage, when it should only show voltage from the wire to negative battery post with the key in the start position. Am I correct? If so, does anyone have any insight of common issues resulting in this? It's ten degrees out now and I don't especially want to spend excessive amounts chasing wires.
Wire shorted to ground ? Look for a pinch spot or a bare spot somewhere.
You're correct, you shouldn't get voltage between that wire and positive (it should be between the wire and ground, and only when the key is to start). That's the tiny wire with the push on connector.

Quick Reply: 1988 f250 died