Topic Sponsor

1988 Big Short: 12V on Chassis

Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Big Short: 12V on Chassis

I was driving my F150 no problems. When I went to start it this morning, not even the dome light or the radio worked and I load tested the battery at 1000 amps... After a bit of troubleshooting, I found out that I have a major 12V+ line somewhere solidly shorted to the frame. Using a multimeter connected to the "tannish" and black wires grouped together on the solenoid and ground (with nearly 0 resistance) I shook every wire from bumper to bumper I could think of and I couldn't find the shorted wire. I know my fusible links are good as is my inertial fuel pump cut out switch. Has anybody had this problem?

The last thing I can think of to try is unplugging the computer to see if it has an internal short but I'm totally stumped.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:45 AM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Did you go through all the fuses?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:06 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Have starter and alt tested
Old 05-22-2014, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched high and low for a chafed wire, then I went through the fuse panel. Of all things it was the stupid dome light circuit. My radio and starter solenoid are now blown as was a ton of my time, but the dome light fuse looks great...

I turned the ignition on with the dome light fuse removed, shorted my starter wire to the battery to crank the engine and now my truck is a runner again. I will test the alternator status once the rest of the truck is back together. I really went with the harder not smarter approach on this one but I didn't know the dome light circuit was capable wreaking of such electrical carnage on the rest of the truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1988 Big Short: 12V on Chassis