Topic Sponsor

1987 f150 ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 f150 ignition switch

I have a 1987 Ford F-150 that was originally efi but converted to carbureted. When I try to start the truck the starter just hangs up and stays on even if I turn off the ignition and take the keys out. To make it stop I have to disconnect the battery. I have reaplaced the alternator,starter solinoid(at least 7 Times), the starter, and ignition column were the key goes in. I have a new switch communicator which I think is also called a ignition switch and I need to know if my old one could be the problem and if so where do I find it on my truck to replace it?
Old 10-31-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site!
The ignition switch is on the steering column, about above the brake pedal. It is actuated by a rod coming off the key assembly. Important to get the new switch set correctly so the key positions correlate to the correct switch functions.
Wondering if there may be a wiring issue with your solenoid, such as an extra connection that shouldn't be there between the downstream power side of the solenoid and the coil / control wire?
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine too. bought a 1987 f250 (2wd efi 302, T18) just last week and now the ignition key when turned to start, gets the starter going yet despite whichever way I turn the key it will not stop turning over the engine (yet the engine doesn't start itself, only the starter keeps going). I too had to disconnect the battery to stop it. Is this what happens when the rod coming off the key/ignition lock cylinder assembly isn't functioning properly with the ignition switch down below? It's odd, a few times it worked fine, turned over and ran but now it just turns over, doesn't start and essentially drains the very soul out of that poor little starter motor..

thanks