Topic Sponsor

Seat swap question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Seat swap question

Can anyone confirm if the front seat from a 95' mount in a 91'?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Same style cab it's a bolt - in.
Going from regular cab to extended cab or bench to buckets takes a bit of finagglin'.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

seats can be a little off from metal warpage, but theyre a direct replacement
Old 01-15-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

All '90-96 F-series front seats interchange. Nearly any vehicle chair can be made to fit in any fullsize vehicle.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:09 PM

I think that you will find that the floors stayed the same from 1980 to 1996.
As far as the front seat mounting goes, I believe that there is one floor configuration used for regular cab and crewcab and a different floor configuration for extended cab and bronco.
So swapping seats from a similar floor pattern truck means less messing around with seat mounting brackets.
Of course if you're installing buckets where a bench was there will be all new holes to be drilled.
And bucket seats were never installed directly to the floor in a regular cab originally; Ford used a large steel plate that bolted to the floor - the bucket seat tracks were bolted to that; and the mounting brackets (tracks) were different for that application than for extended cabs.
Anything can be done - they can be made to fit, but using seats from the same style of cab will make it simpler.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
I think that you will find that the floors stayed the same from 1980 to 1996.
Nope. I've pulled enough chairs for my Broncos & F-series from enough JY trucks to encounter most of the variations, and there are some. Ford revised the floor in '89 due to cracks, as this TSB describes:

(phone app link)

The basic shape stayed the same, but the slight changes CAN interfere with certain chair options crossing from one floor to the other. There's also a noticeable change to the area where the trans tunnel meets the chair floor (due to the longer E4OD pushing the taller BW1356 farther back), but it doesn't directly impact seat mounting.
As far as the front seat mounting goes, I believe that there is one floor configuration used for regular cab and crewcab and a different floor configuration for extended cab and bronco.
No, they all have the same standard bench seat & most optional chairs, so all their floors have the same 2 chair patterns.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
...if you're installing buckets where a bench was there will be all new holes to be drilled.
There are 12 holes in the floor for front chairs: 4 for the standard bench (also used for the optional 40/20/40 bucket tray), and 4 more on each side for captain's chairs. The unused holes come with a rubber plug, as those previous 2 pics show.
And bucket seats were never installed directly to the floor in a regular cab originally; Ford used a large steel plate that bolted to the floor...
That's the 40/20/40 setup that appeared first in Lightnings.

(phone app link)

The older lowback buckets (like my truck came with) were bolted to the floor like captain's chairs.

(phone app link)

The later F-series option with captain's chairs & an armrest seat attached by the normal cpt.chr. inboard bolts is shown in this diagram:

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 01-16-2018 at 03:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stxlt (06-11-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:50 AM

Wasn't trying to criticize anything you said, Steve. I'm aware of how well versed you are regarding these trucks.
Pointing out a little known fact that I have discovered; the regular cab pickup floor does not have the indent to accept the inboard rear leg of the extra cab or bronco seat tracks. The tracks can be heated and bent so as to be made to work but they do not bolt in as is and the extra holes are not there.
That is what I have found, which may be true and worth looking at.
But I will of course accept that you are very knowledgeable and therefore you are right and I am wrong.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I read that the floor reinforcement plates "are still available" in a note somewhere in there. Given the time lapse, are these still available or does it take a Unicorn ride to find Hen's teeth? I am also interested in part numbers (and known, stocking sources) for the bolts with the cutting point and the female hardware used with them.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:04 PM

Search eBay, Amazon, & Google for the plate PNs. But a '93 doesn't need them - the floor was revised in late '89, as that TSB explains.

Ford never used bolts with drill points; only sheet-metal & trim screws. Body bolts were hardened & either slotted or pointed (depending on application) to pilot themselves into an unthreaded hole, and thread it. There is no female hardware for them - the unthreaded hole is in a "nut" welded to the body before painting. You can make them easily:

(phone app link)
The following users liked this post:
stxlt (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve83
But a '93 doesn't need them - the floor was revised in late '89, as that TSB explains.
Understood and thanks!

Originally Posted by Steve83
Ford never used bolts with drill points; only sheet-metal & trim screws. Body bolts were hardened & either slotted or pointed (depending on application) to pilot themselves into an unthreaded hole, and thread it. There is no female hardware for them - the unthreaded hole is in a "nut" welded to the body before painting
I saw the part about make them easily...my question is: are the "nuts" welded in all hole locations or only those needed, based on the seat on the build sheet?
I am looking to find seats this weekend during my JY raid. I know to check Broncos, Supercabs, and crew cabs and plan to check E-Series, knowing I'll need bucket seat rails. I read that to use '04 and newer 40/20/40 seats, I'll need bucket seat rails.
Can I scrounge seats from an Explorer - 2 & 4 door? CrownVics/Marquis?

Last edited by stxlt; 06-12-2018 at 05:47 PM.