Topic Sponsor

Search and Rescue truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Search and Rescue truck

Long story short: long time lurker on work computer (shh) going to be restarting my volunteer search and rescue truck project with a different chassis. Has anyone seen a radio console/jotto desk for our trucks? If not (and I searched) could I have a picture of a 92-96 center floor sections (no carpet). Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

This & the NEXT several show a '93 Bronco floor (with modified seat mounts, but the factory center):

(phone app link)

This is a '95 F150 std. cab:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

I think you should plan on building whatever you want. I don't think any aftermarket company still makes stuff specific to these old trucks - not enough demand.
The following users liked this post:
Overwatch (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
This & the NEXT several show a '93 Bronco floor (with modified seat mounts, but the factory center):

(phone app link)

This is a '95 F150 std. cab:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

I think you should plan on building whatever you want. I don't think any aftermarket company still makes stuff specific to these old trucks - not enough demand.
Good to see you're still around Steve. Thanks for the pictures! It seems like building shallow "A" arms off the seat bolts is the best option. Go into either a military 30mm can console or a Jotto desk base. Could you recommend a fabricator?
Old 06-02-2019, 12:23 PM

Have we met?

I don't think paying someone is practical - no one will know exactly what you want or expect, until the work is done. And at that point, you're committed to paying him, whether you like what he built or not. So you'll probably have to DIY, but I wouldn't use an ammo can. Start off working in cardboard, with glue, staples, &/or duct tape. Try several shapes to find what fits & does what you want. Then move to a carved styrofoam block or Aluminum (using screws or pop-rivets) so you can put some weight on it, and maybe even mount things to try it out. Once you're sure, buy a half sheet of ~1/4 plywood, and a few bags of steel corner brackets...
Amazon Amazon
Cut the wood & screw it to the brackets to make the box the exact size & shape you need. Once you're happy with the fit, wrap it in ~1/8" batting and then some upholstery or carpet that goes with the truck. Use it for a while, making the last few tweaks. When you're sure, either rebuild it yourself one last time, or pay a pro to copy it for you.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Have we met?

I don't think paying someone is practical - no one will know exactly what you want or expect, until the work is done. And at that point, you're committed to paying him, whether you like what he built or not. So you'll probably have to DIY, but I wouldn't use an ammo can. Start off working in cardboard, with glue, staples, &/or duct tape. Try several shapes to find what fits & does what you want. Then move to a carved styrofoam block or Aluminum (using screws or pop-rivets) so you can put some weight on it, and maybe even mount things to try it out. Once you're sure, buy a half sheet of ~1/4 plywood, and a few bags of steel corner brackets...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4L8R5G
Cut the wood & screw it to the brackets to make the box the exact size & shape you need. Once you're happy with the fit, wrap it in ~1/8" batting and then some upholstery or carpet that goes with the truck. Use it for a while, making the last few tweaks. When you're sure, either rebuild it yourself one last time, or pay a pro to copy it for you.
I knew you YEARS ago in the FSB forums. I've bought some parts from you. You gave me some advice going through some hard times and we've talked a few times.

I've seen plenty of people build columns but I never thought about it. Maybe it's time to try.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don’t know what exactly you want but might want to check some ford custom camper vans from the 90s, a lot of them around here and at junkyards
Old 06-02-2019, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by ShortbedSinglecab
I don’t know what exactly you want but might want to check some ford custom camper vans from the 90s, a lot of them around here and at junkyards

Preferably something that can take radios, scanners, etc. We don't have many yards where I am but I'll check up north. Are the floor pans the same?
Old 06-02-2019, 07:28 PM

Just put this in tonight (the switches ) will be making a sort of sideskirt out of plastic to hide wires and make flush
Old 06-02-2019, 07:32 PM

I think only half of that posted I don’t think floor pans are same because econolines had part of the engine in the cab
Old 06-03-2019, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Overwatch
I knew you YEARS ago in the FSB forums.
What was your username there?

The van body is entirely different - including the floor.

Quick Reply: Search and Rescue truck