Topic Sponsor

LED strip lights for footwell -- DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default LED strip lights for footwell -- DIY

Watch out!! I have a soldering iron and I don't know how to use it!

And I know as much about electricity as an 8 year old trying to do taxes.

I just happen to find my spool of strip lights which I made a little project with about 10 LED's. I powered it to an old 12v external power supply from some sort of computer stuff. I put a switch in between and taped that thing up behind my headboard. So far so good.

So I want to wire this to my truck under the dash so it's not so dark when I open the door. I did get a new better dome light plastic and LED bulb up there so not bad.

As I see it, is this what i need to do:
1. Figure out which is the positive/negative on the strip light
2. cut like a 6" strip one for each side
3. ground the negative strip
4. find the dome light wiring from under the plastic holding the carpet down and wire the positive to that one with some sort of wiring tap? Any chance anyone know which colored wire it is?

I think that's all to it right? Like doing a 1040EZ right?

That's great for one side, do I do same on other side? Or do I chain the 2 strips together with a long wire? I think I do the same on other side cause if I open the door on that side, the light will turn on too right?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would connect the strips together it would not be hard and less wiring.
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by benny1997
I would connect the strips together it would not be hard and less wiring.
Sweet, that kinda makes sense. I guess I can unscrew the dome light, and look for the colored wire. And then find it under the carpeting running under the fuse box area.

Right now, I just got more LED's in. Need to change my brake/signal light, sidemarker light and license plate light. I have a utility bed so they are like trailer type bumper.

Later on, I'd love to get LED headlights. The technology changed so much from the past 2 years on those. So much more to learn, some don't need that extra little box in between the bulb and wire harness.