Topic Sponsor

After market tach install

Old 05-03-2019, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market tach install

Would like to install a after market tach on my 1996 f-150 I know people can swap the whole cluster but I just want to mount a after market rpm tach somewhere in the truck was wondering if anyone knew a video or has done something similar with pictures thanks
Old 05-04-2019, 12:18 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Why hack something in when it's so easy to put it where the factory did, using factory parts, and the wiring that's already there waiting to be used?

Before:

(phone app link)

After:

(phone app link)

It's PnP, if you find a compatible instrument cluster.

(phone app link)
Old 05-04-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

For my '92 I swapped the stock cluster w/ no tach for a stock cluster w/ tach. I like the clean installation, the factory look, and the swap was very easy to do. It was also a great time to replace the 25 year old backlighting in the cluster for easy night time reading.

Ford OEM tachs are not known for being highly accurate. If pinpoint accuracy is needed look to the aftermarket.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbrick
Ford OEM tachs are not known for being highly accurate.
Based on what? How many Ford tachs have you tested, against what standard, and how far off were they? All of mine show the same as my Snap-On timing light, within ~100 RPM. How much more accuracy does a 30-year-old pickup truck require?
Old 05-04-2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Based on what? How many Ford tachs have you tested, against what standard, and how far off were they? All of mine show the same as my Snap-On timing light, within ~100 RPM. How much more accuracy does a 30-year-old pickup truck require?
Steve,
The words that I typed are based on my many years of experience with Ford tachometers. I've owned a string of Fords with factory tachometers since about 1982. Most of those cars were Mustangs and not trucks, but, I've yet to have an OEM Ford tach that was dead on to a timing light readout. My timing light, however, isn't a SnapOn. As I've stated above my preference in the trucks is the OEM for the clean installation and factory look. I also stated that it isn't the most accurate,....as your statement backs up. I personally am running the OEM tachometer in my truck as it fulfills my needs despite knowing it isn't ultra accurate so your question is a mute point. The OP, however is asking about aftermarket tachometers for whatever reasons he didn't share. I shared my opinion. There is no need for you to be a condescending jackass in most of your posts. You do help and provide good information but seem to think that your way is the only way that works. Many others have good experiences to share also.

Jonathan
Old 05-04-2019, 03:42 PM

If you think your post isn't jackass - you're wrong. You made an assertion that's not true or relevant, and I questioned you logically about why you believe it. That's not condescending - look up the definition of that word.

What do you mean by "experience with Ford tachometers"? Looking at them as you drive? Or testing them for accuracy? If your experience is "good", then I'd like to know how you acquired it so I can see how good it is. Many others might also like to know.

Yes, 100 RPM is VERY accurate, unless you're working in a laboratory and have some particular need for exact RPMs. But just driving a pickup doesn't require +/-400RPM accuracy, so 100 is more-accurate than you'd ever need, and every tach I've checked (Ford, or any other) is that close to any other I've connected to the same vehicle. What are you doing with your trucks or Mustangs that requires more precision than the factory tachs offer?

BTW
The term is "moot" - not mute. And it's your statement that I quoted which is moot. Especially in the context of this thread.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
If you think your post isn't jackass - you're wrong.

What do you mean by "experience with Ford tachometers"? Looking at them as you drive? Or testing them for accuracy? If your experience is "good", then I'd like to know how you acquired it so I can see how good it is. Many others might also like to know.

Yes, 100 RPM is VERY accurate, unless you're working in a laboratory and have some particular need for exact RPMs. But just driving a pickup doesn't require +/-400RPM accuracy, so 100 is more-accurate than you'd ever need, and every tach I've checked (Ford, or any other) is that close to any other I've connected to the same vehicle. What are you doing with your trucks or Mustangs that requires more precision than the factory tachs offer?

BTW
The term is "moot" - not mute. And it's your statement that I quoted which is moot. Especially in the context of this thread.
Rereading my words I realize that you may be correct, and I stand behind them. My sincere apologies to the OP for the thread derail.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Typed 93 F150 tach install into google search. Figured 93 might be more common than 96. Lots of info comes up.
Good luck on the project.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don’t know if it’s too late but putting a tach in our truck is easy but there’s not very good info around on it. Long story short find your coil (google what it looks like) and find the big plug that clips in and there will be a red wire and a yellowish wire take a wire put a spade connector on it and squish it to a point and shove it in the hole with the yellow wire. Easy no harm done, has worked fine for me for a few months now.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can post pic if desired

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After market tach install