Topic Sponsor

tranny fluid spraying on engine

Old 12-31-2018, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny fluid spraying on engine

so i just bought a 95 f150 with a 302 engine about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and its spraying tranny fluid toward the front of the engine, the radiator on the serp belt on the alternator but it doesn't go near the right of the engine or near the firewall or the back of the engine, i just cleaned it all up (and now i have a blown fuse go figure) thats another problem though lol, but anyways the bottom of the radiator is absolutly caked in tranny fluid what could it possibly be?
Old 12-31-2018, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by Rynlwar236
so i just bought a 95 f150 with a 302 engine about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and its spraying tranny fluid toward the front of the engine, the radiator on the serp belt on the alternator but it doesn't go near the right of the engine or near the firewall or the back of the engine, i just cleaned it all up (and now i have a blown fuse go figure) thats another problem though lol, but anyways the bottom of the radiator is absolutly caked in tranny fluid what could it possibly be?
leaking trans cooler/ trans cooler lines
Old 12-31-2018, 04:06 PM

does the 95's have the built in tranny cooler in the radiator (is that a thing) or is it seperate? i'd rather not throw parts at it

Last edited by Rynlwar236; 12-31-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Then don't. Wash it off (garden hose, spray bottle of PurplePower/SimpleGreen/Dawn/etc., and a toilet brush will do wonders; or take it to a coin-op car wash), let it dry, then check it immediately at the first startup to pinpoint the leak.

(phone app link)

Yes, there's an ATF cooler in the Left radiator tank - the steel lines going into it should be obvious:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

There's probably also one in front of the radiator, and those lines are even-easier to see; through the grill, or under the front bumper. But they're more to the RHF of the engine, where you said there's no leak.

(phone app link)

This TSB describes several common causes for blown fuses on '94-95 F-series:

(phone app link)
Old 12-31-2018, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Then don't. Wash it off (garden hose, spray bottle of PurplePower/SimpleGreen/Dawn/etc., and a toilet brush will do wonders; or take it to a coin-op car wash), let it dry, then check it immediately at the first startup to pinpoint the leak.

(phone app link)

Yes, there's an ATF cooler in the Left radiator tank - the steel lines going into it should be obvious:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

There's probably also one in front of the radiator, and those lines are even-easier to see; through the grill, or under the front bumper. But they're more to the RHF of the engine, where you said there's no leak.

(phone app link)

This TSB describes several common causes for blown fuses on '94-95 F-series:

(phone app link)
just cleaned it, and checked for the leak, the lines are definitely not leaking but the radiator is to soaked in oil and grease to tell if thats the problem, i'll take it off and check. any clear way to see if thats the problem?
Old 12-31-2018, 07:48 PM

finally found the problem, there is a tiny knick in one of the transmission lines, its super small but it oozes the fluid out at an alarming rate, gonna replace it tomorrow and see if it fixes it.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:11 PM

just cleaned it...but the radiator is to soaked in oil and grease...
Then you HAVEN'T cleaned it.

And there's no advantage to starting another thread dealing with this same issue.
i sprayed down the engine with purple power then cleaned it all up, in the process i must of got something electrical. and now 13 fuse keeps blowing and possibly another one, it won't shift out of park, and turn signals nor hazards are working. i dried everything and replaced fuses but its still doing it. how do i figure out whats the problem and what might need to be replaced?

edit: the abs light is also blinking
edit 2: I narrowed it down to when I press the brakes it buzzes for a second then the fuse blows
Water & PurplePower don't hurt underhood wiring or electronics. Road salt is more-dangerous electrically, and it doesn't hurt when millions of vehicles are driven every winter. Look at this, and look at what's on fuse 13:

(phone app link)

Has the SCCDS recall been done (the final version)?

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 01-01-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:25 PM

looks like it has been replaced, i'll check if its dead. i did notice on the brake fluid level sensor there is a free flying wire just dangling there, but on the connector there is all 3 wires plugged into the connector could that be shorting the 13 fuse?
Old 01-01-2019, 09:52 PM

looks like it has been replaced, i'll check if its dead. i did notice on the brake fluid level sensor there is a free flying wire just dangling there, but on the connector there is all 3 wires plugged into the connector could that be shorting the 13 fuse?
well....the SCCDS is definitely dead, looks like the harness fuse actually corroded away
i am not sure how to make these pictures smaller.....

Last edited by Rynlwar236; 01-01-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:59 AM

You need to put that back on the truck & take it to the nearest Ford dealership for the latest recall. Keep those pics in case you have to contact Ford national CS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tranny fluid spraying on engine