Topic Sponsor

Gen 7 Flare Side on Gen 9 Frame (Short Bed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 7 Flare Side on Gen 9 Frame (Short Bed)

Hey guys!

I've had my '93 F150 XLT since i was 14 and I want to do a restoration/custom project to it.
It has some body damage, as would come from a 25 year old truck, that needs to be mended before painting.
There is no frame or structural damage in any way, shape, or form.
All damage to it is cosmetic and it doesn't even look bad currently.
I've upgraded exhaust system, added 2 inch body lift, and aftermarket rims.

It is a short bed Style Side but i was thinking of putting a Flare Side on it, but i do not care much for how the gen 9 flare sides look.
I've always like the gen 7 bodies, especially the flare side, so my thought was to take the gen 7 flare side bed and put it on my gen 9 frame.
I think it could be cool and an interesting build to have the mix.

Will this work?
Any thoughts on the proposal?

From what i have read online, and pretty obvious just looking at them, gen 7, 8, & 9 are pretty much the same frame with just some differences in the front for the bumpers.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

IDK how you're breaking up generations - are you talking about putting an '80-86 stepside bed onto a '93? The body lines are different - the older ones go OVER the wheel arches, but yours go ACROSS them. So it won't look right.

(phone app link)
Old 05-17-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I am talking about putting an '80-86 flare side bed on a '93 frame, while keeping the '93 cab.
I know what you mean by the body lines not matching and not looking right but i think with the right paint job and maybe altering the front fenders to mimic an '80-86 could fix that problem.
Like i said in the post, it's a restoration/custom so i don't mind mixing it up a little.
More interested in if the flare side will fit on my frame than anything else.
Body work can be done to make it look like they go together.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:34 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

"Flareside" is the name used for '92-96 F150s that don't have a fleetside bed. The name didn't exist in the '80s. Those beds are "stepsides", as that diagram shows. You'd have to measure the stepside bed's mount locations to find out if it matches your frame. I assume it would, but I've never messed with either of those beds; just fleetsides & Broncos.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: Gen 7 Flare Side on Gen 9 Frame (Short Bed)