Topic Sponsor

1994 F150 door wont open.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 F150 door wont open.

The passenger side door on my '94 F150 wasn't closing good. I had to slam it to make it shut all the way. I installed a new striker bolt to hopefully fix it. Ive done it many times on different vehicles and it always helped. Well, after I installed this one, i shut the door, and it shut all the way and latched good. The bad thing is, I tried to open the door back up, and it wont open! The outside button just goes in when pushed, but doesn't click or anything. It just goes all the way in, and nothing! The inside handle does the same thing. I tried pushing and pulling on the door when trying to open it too. I,ve tried You-tubing it, but there's nothing on it. I would really appreciate any help on this.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by winkwade
The passenger side door on my '94 F150 wasn't closing good. I had to slam it to make it shut all the way. I installed a new striker bolt to hopefully fix it. Ive done it many times on different vehicles and it always helped. Well, after I installed this one, i shut the door, and it shut all the way and latched good. The bad thing is, I tried to open the door back up, and it wont open! The outside button just goes in when pushed, but doesn't click or anything. It just goes all the way in, and nothing! The inside handle does the same thing. I tried pushing and pulling on the door when trying to open it too. I,ve tried You-tubing it, but there's nothing on it. I would really appreciate any help on this.
Did you ever get your door to open bud,
Old 09-07-2020, 02:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Compare with left side door

I wish I could tell you what to do. The bushing had worn a lot on mine. I removed and cut pieces of 1/2" PEX plumbing pipe to replace the old. In your case..1st..when trying to open door with interior handle..did you try pushin the lock **** down just to see if it unlocked when you pull the handle? If it doesn't push lock **** up..I would say something..somehow..came loose. But maybe not. Is it possible that the latch didnt close enuf for the buttons to know (not literally) that the door is shut? Seems like when my doors are open and I try using either handle..both do what yours are doing now..nothing. I would experiment with the left side door. Eirher remove the keeper or find a socket or somethin the same size. Use it to make door latch close on it. Also maybe try using a bigger socket or whatever to cause latch not to close all the way. I cant remember if my keeper could be adjusted..like in horizontal direction. If so..maybe its too far in and the door has hit the stop..but the latch still went in enough to barely close around the keeper and make the door feel tight. Maybe try pushin in on door..using some muscle but not enuf to bend anything..maybe the latch will close completely. If it does..I think it would open with the door handles. If you cant get those handles to workin..Im sure you already know and I think the only solution is to remove the door panel. May be able to find somethin online on how to operate the latch by reachin inside door..or it might be easy to see how to do it. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:38 AM

My drivers door did this. Im suspecting the latch is seized up, it doesnt feel like a cable or rod (which ever one it uses) is broke. Good times lol
Old 07-22-2021, 12:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so, where is the best place to order parts like the door latch? i tried advanced auto parts, they sell the stiker, but not the latch.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:37 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

jrfiol - lmctruck.com has been my go-to for stuff like this.
The following users liked this post:
jrfiol (07-25-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 12:30 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I prefer OE, so I only get them from the junkyards. Soak in kerosene or deodorized mineral spirits to remove the crusty old grease, apply new, function-check, & install.
jrfiol (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same **** happened with my truck. The striker is adjustable so I thought the tighter the better. Wrong choice. Shut the door and it wouldn't reopen. I had to remove the back of the bench seat and the door panel(not easy with the door closed)to gain access to the mechanism.
jrfiol (07-25-2021)

Quick Reply: 1994 F150 door wont open.