Topic Sponsor

Where is OSS on E4OD tranny with transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Where is OSS on E4OD tranny with transfer case?

96 F-150 5.0 4x4 w/E4OD tranny.

After 7 year of flawless running, engine began to run terribly. Chased codes and replaced sensors for a week, good mechanic said it was computer.

1st computer made engine run like new, but was for manual tranny; 2nd one introduced lots of new shifting issues which I've NEVER had before. Same with 3rd one. Shifts hard from 1st to 4th OD! Have to use shift selector for proper shifts. OD light flashes too, but is off when engine starts until tranny shifts several times.

Throwing P0720 code, OSS. Searched internet, pics of E4OD show on rear top of tranny, but it's not there.

Someone said it doesn't have an OSS, but that is impossible - computer compares ISS and OSS speeds to know when to shift and into what gear.

HELP PLEASE!

GN
Old 05-16-2018, 04:40 PM

What? Have I got fleas? B.O.? Bad breath? Not one reply? No one has an answer?
Old 05-16-2018, 08:39 PM

Is the Output Speed Sensor on the rear diff?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:25 AM

Think this is it.....hope this helps someone else.......on rear diff.....

​​​​​​Name:  R44BZ.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  36.2 KB
Old 05-17-2018, 07:26 AM

Old 05-17-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatornapper
96 F-150 5.0 4x4 w/E4OD tranny.

After 7 year of flawless running, engine began to run terribly. Chased codes and replaced sensors for a week, good mechanic said it was computer.

1st computer made engine run like new, but was for manual tranny; 2nd one introduced lots of new shifting issues which I've NEVER had before. Same with 3rd one. Shifts hard from 1st to 4th OD! Have to use shift selector for proper shifts. OD light flashes too, but is off when engine starts until tranny shifts several times.

Throwing P0720 code, OSS. Searched internet, pics of E4OD show on rear top of tranny, but it's not there.

Someone said it doesn't have an OSS, but that is impossible - computer compares ISS and OSS speeds to know when to shift and into what gear.

HELP PLEASE!

GN
The 2WD versions have it in the tailshaft housing on the drivers side. It would be on the driver's side regardless, and there are only like 3-4 things that plug into the tranny, so follow the transmission harness wiring and it should take you to it.

There is also a VSS on the rear differential, as mentioned by the previous poster.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

There is no OSS for the E4OD; only the 4R70W. The ABS sensor on the rear axle is used as a VSS; not an OSS (which would only be ON the transmission rear housing).

(phone app link)

For more info, look up your truck's wiring diagrams here:
http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html
You have to submit an e-mail, but it doesn't have to be your real e-mail. Then switch to WIRING DIAGRAMS.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:48 PM

Question

Originally Posted by Steve83
There is no OSS for the E4OD; only the 4R70W. The ABS sensor on the rear axle is used as a VSS; not an OSS (which would only be ON the transmission rear housing).

(phone app link)

For more info, look up your truck's wiring diagrams here:
http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html
You have to submit an e-mail, but it doesn't have to be your real e-mail. Then switch to WIRING DIAGRAMS.
STEVE - THANK YOU!!!! I put a new VSS in the diff this am, and it made no change - still got P0720 code, 1 to OD shifts at 10mph, blinking OD light, AND drove the speedometer crazy above 30mph.

SO I put the original VSS back in as it is working fine.

So how do I chase the P0720 code? And why isn't it a P0500 code?

TIA,

GN
Old 05-17-2018, 11:29 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I don't have all the codes memorized - when you post a number, post its COMPLETE definition.

Right now, no one (not even a MotorCraft supplier) makes an ABS sensor identical to the original in these trucks. All replacements require modification & adjustment to work right. So if your original has NOT failed a published test, keep it.

I'm not a slushbox tech - I recommend you find a local one you trust, and let him tell you what's going on.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83
I don't have all the codes memorized - when you post a number, post its COMPLETE definition.

Right now, no one (not even a MotorCraft supplier) makes an ABS sensor identical to the original in these trucks. All replacements require modification & adjustment to work right. So if your original has NOT failed a published test, keep it.

I'm not a slushbox tech - I recommend you find a local one you trust, and let him tell you what's going on.

Steve - thanks. Issue not in slushbox - in ECM. Never had any tranny issues until I put in new ECM that solved all my engine problems. Never saw this code until I put in new ECM/PCM/ECU.........

Have apt. Mon. nite with area's top Ford tech on ECM issues - on all issues actually.

GN

Quick Reply: Where is OSS on E4OD tranny with transfer case?