Topic Sponsor

What are manual hubs in your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are manual hubs in your opinion?

So ive never had a truck with manual hubs and im wondering the advantage. Should i leave them free and get out and lock them everytime i need 4wd? Or is it safe to always leave them locked in 2wd?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:55 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

leave them unlocked, but if you dont use 4x4 very often, then about once a month lock them in and drive for about 5-10 miles in 2wd.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The advantage is that you can leave them unlocked and get better fuel economy in 2wd and when you need 4wd you have positive engagement before you start to spin your wheels preventing a catastrophic failer of the automatic version. I swear by manual locking hubs and true manual shift transfer case to go with it. If you are wanting to leave the hubs locked in for snow and ice then it is generally not going to hurt anything but your wallet as you will lose some fuel econom. My truck mainly sees use in Alaska where there is snow nine months out of the year and i just leave my warn hubs locked in and when i need 4wd i reach down and pull back. As long as your not turning or spinning your wheels it shouldnt hurt anything to do that and keep your foot off the gas for the transision then you can get back into the throtle.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:36 PM

thanks guys thats helpful. so i guess my question is: what happens when you lock them but its still in 2wd? the hubs are locked but those wheels arent engaged to spin? how does that effect my mpgs if the wheels still arent engaged?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

If they're locked in 2wd it spins everything anyways, except the transfer case doesn't give power to the wheels. So you lose gas mileage.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
If they're locked in 2wd it spins everything anyways, except the transfer case doesn't give power to the wheels. So you lose gas mileage.
ok that pretty much explains it
Old 08-27-2013, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the ones i swapped for the standard manual hubs on my '92
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wr...rd/model/f-150
you may need a conversion kit to go from the auto lockers also
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wrn-32720

Quick Reply: What are manual hubs in your opinion?