Topic Sponsor

Replacing clutch master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing clutch master cylinder

Hey everybody. I have a 1990 bronco with a 5.0 and the Mazda 5 speed. Last week, I went to drive it and found that the clutch pedal went down easily and wouldn't come back up. I put some fluid in the reservoir and it restored normal operation. Same thing again this morning.

I've obviously got some issues. I know the slave cylinder has been replaced, so I'm crossing my fingers I don't need to drop the trans.

So I'm going to start with the Clutch master cylinder.

Does anybody have any information about Replacing that particular part? Thanks
Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Yes: DON'T replace any part until you actually diagnose it as needing replacement. You're just guessing. If the slave has been replaced before, my first suspicion would be that the replacement part (which is invariably LESS-reliable than the original) has already failed. But suspicions aren't worth any more than guesses. If you can't get underneath it & diagnose the actual fault, pay someone who can. It'll cost you less & take less time than guessing until you hit the real problem blindly.

If you want to know how the system works (which is fundamental to diagnosis), click these & read the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: Replacing clutch master cylinder