Rear end gears - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor

Rear end gears

Old 02-10-2019, 09:52 PM

Default Rear end gears

Hey guys I'm just trying to see what gearing would be best in my truck. I have a 95 f150 with the 4.9. It was stock with the mazda 5 speed which locked up so I pulled it and did a c6 auto conversion. It still has the stock rear end with 2.73 gears. It doesn't have much take off but plenty of top end. I'd like to get some more take off without losing my top end and pushing the rpms.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:30 AM
Bronco Guru

You can't gain low-RPM torque without giving up hi-RPM speed, unless you downshift. And an automatic already does that (via the torque converter).
Old 02-11-2019, 01:33 AM

I don't think I would change them with a c6. You lost your overdrive, so you are already going to have much higher rpms at highway speeds compared to your old Mazda in the 5th gear.

If you are determined, the 3.08 gear ratio was pretty common in these trucks and would be easy enough to swap in. Any more than that and you will be screaming at highway speeds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear end gears

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: