Topic Sponsor

R&R on my transmission, help please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default R&R on my transmission, help please.

A.D.D. Shortcut: Actual questions at the bottom

Hi Folks. I have a 1987 F150 Lariat XLT 4x4 302, AOD. that I just picked up for a song. Here she is being hauled off the farm I found her on:

Anyway... I got her cheap because the rear drive line had catastrophically failed, and broken the mounting points on the trans housing where they meet the (output shaft housing? trans to transfer case tube thingy?)

I'm not new to turning a wrench (they go around and around! wheeee!) But I am pretty new to 4x4 trucks and actually working on auto transmissions.

It's an AOD with a borg warner manual transfercase.

I purchased an AOD from an 89 bronco today, which will do the trick nicely.

INSTALL QUESTIONS:

(A link to a DIY would be nice... I will read a chiltons too, but chiltons lacks info, I don't want to be spoon fed here, just shove me in the right direction if you haven't got time to get out the gerber and a tiny spoon.)

1 Do you first mount the torque converter to the trans... or to the engine?

2 Do you marry the transfer case to the trans before you install it?

3 What do you do to balance it and keep it safe? I can strap it and use the floor jack and a bottle jack or two.

4 Do you mount the crossmember before you get it in there?

5 I have the rear mount/bushing from the F150 and from the 89 bronco, they are quite different in design, any idea which I should use? (I'll probably buy a new one.)

Thank you in advance for any help, links, or advice. I look forward to being part of this community and I'll be glad to contribute what I can when I can.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:52 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by sgLoki
A.D.D. Shortcut: Actual questions at the bottom

Hi Folks. I have a 1987 F150 Lariat XLT 4x4 302, AOD. that I just picked up for a song. Here she is being hauled off the farm I found her on:

Anyway... I got her cheap because the rear drive line had catastrophically failed, and broken the mounting points on the trans housing where they meet the (output shaft housing? trans to transfer case tube thingy?)

I'm not new to turning a wrench (they go around and around! wheeee!) But I am pretty new to 4x4 trucks and actually working on auto transmissions.

It's an AOD with a borg warner manual transfercase.

I purchased an AOD from an 89 bronco today, which will do the trick nicely.

INSTALL QUESTIONS:

(A link to a DIY would be nice... I will read a chiltons too, but chiltons lacks info, I don't want to be spoon fed here, just shove me in the right direction if you haven't got time to get out the gerber and a tiny spoon.)

1 Do you first mount the torque converter to the trans... or to the engine?

2 Do you marry the transfer case to the trans before you install it?

3 What do you do to balance it and keep it safe? I can strap it and use the floor jack and a bottle jack or two.

4 Do you mount the crossmember before you get it in there?

5 I have the rear mount/bushing from the F150 and from the 89 bronco, they are quite different in design, any idea which I should use? (I'll probably buy a new one.)

Thank you in advance for any help, links, or advice. I look forward to being part of this community and I'll be glad to contribute what I can when I can.
1. To the transmission, make sure it engages the pump.

2. After, unless you want it to be heavy as **** and awkward to handle.

3. I use a transmission jack.

4. After.

5. F150.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 PM

Thanks Sean, I appreciate the reply.

So which shaft drives the pump? I'm clueless on that.

Hmmm, I might just have to fabricate something for my current jack to make it convertible to a trans jack... or rent one, (This build is on a tight budget, I have a N.a. AWD car to maintain, and a Biturbo car to keep maintained as well.) I don't anticipate needing it often.

I love heavy and awkward things, it's like a bad prom date with a young lady who has "more to love" But I will mount it after I mount the trans (is what she said.)

Old 06-20-2013, 12:15 AM
We'd do it

I've used regular hydraulic jacks, you just have to balance the transmission. The torque converter snout has two notches that engage the pump.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:54 AM

cool, thanks. I'll look at it closely and be sure to line it up right.

Balancing plus some ratcheting straps... and some more attached to the truck to keep it from falling on me ought to do the trick, I'm not farting dust yet, but I'm not young enough to bench press the thing in anymore.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Just a heads up, if you don't install the torque converter correctly, you will ruin the pump, a costly mistake. When you put the tranny back in, make sure the torque converter doesn't slide forward any. I know he said two what they call "clunks" but just make sure. I was told two on my e4od and after turning it by hand and it just didn't seem to do right. I played with it a little while and it clunked in one more time. I know on mine that its lined up properly know from looking at the drain plug and seeing it centered up with the access hole on the bottom of the bellhousing, but i'm pretty sure you don't have one. I know you said no spoon feeding but I felt this was necessary info, being this is also my first auto truck and didn't know before either.

Also, the easiest thing to do to put it back in is to use a tranny jack. If you're working by yourself like I do, you will really wish you had it, but it can be done with any jack(s). Once you put the tranny in and snug in the bolts for the bell housing and torque converter, then put in the cross member. Then you should be able to hold the transfer case in one hand while hand tightening in the transfer case bolts with the other hand, its only about 80 lbs or so. then its all down hill.

Last edited by Brandon587; 06-20-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:12 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

the easiest way to get a trans in, is to invite a buddy over and give him a couple beers to help you muscle it in.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:10 AM

Thanks guys. I found info on the torque converter install. The” nipple” on the back center needs to be below the case on the aod, so I checked it with a straight edge. I got the trans in with a strap and floor jack and some muscle.

I'll deal with the rest tomorrow and see hire far I get. As long as the t.c. Isn't rubbing the flywheel it should be properly seated.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:04 PM

Well...to be continued, turns out the transfer case rear output shaft hosting had a crack in it that I didn't see before.

Would it be terribly bad to fire the truck up with no fluid in the transmission if I leave it in neutral?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:18 PM
We'd do it

Don't do that.

Quick Reply: R&R on my transmission, help please.