Topic Sponsor

possibly buying a 5.8L 93 4x4 but have a question

Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possibly buying a 5.8L 93 4x4 but have a question

What are the pros and cons of the 5.0 vs the 5.8

My old 93 didn't have a tow package installed and it was starting to leak a bit of oil/ temp gauge didn't work and had 170K miles on it.

This 93 has the 5.8L is set up for towing had a 5th wheel hitch the first 38K miles of its life. It now has 128K. 2 owner and the guy was planning on keeping it for his son but his son wants a car now. (It has pretty much sat the last three years.)

Looks AMAZING for its age. The owner has only put 2K miles on it since the last rotor/plugs and wires back in 2009.

I drove the truck and it seemed underpowered. especially when going up a hill?

Maybe bad gas?? has a small tick could it be lifter/valves/ or exhaust leak? I can only hear the tick while driving not at an idle with the hood up!

Would any of the above other than bad gas make it feel underpowered?

Here is the CL link to the truck.

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/3145667323.html

I am very intersted but worried about the tick/underpower.

everything about it is GREAT if it didn't have the power issue.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

the link dont work. also iv found that all these motors are a lil under powered so you cant really avoid it. the 5.8l would be the best bet though. i liked my 5.0 for the reliability and it was quick without a trailer hooked up. it towed 6000 lbs fine on level ground but the steep hills were rough on it. i honestly hardly noticed a difference in power between all the engines.

Last edited by f150cam; 08-02-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

For the last 15 yrs or so I've been running the 4.9 in my daily driver work vehicles. One in an 85 f-250 4wd. The last in a 1990 E-150 which i recently took out of service. It was a really solid motor that i never had a bit of complaint with.

Had a few 5.0's in my earlier F-100's and they were just fine.

I've got a 5.8 in my current work truck and a 5.8 HO in my yard truck. Frankly ... i don't like them and don't trust em'. They seem quirky to me.

Uphill power is a relative thing. Could it be that it was in overdrive ? Do you know what transmission it has ? Any trouble codes stored on the computer ?

I've noticed more than a few threads where people are trying to figure out why their truck isn't doing well going uphill. Even have the same problem with my current truck. It seems to be one of those things that's not easily remedied.

It's not likely bad gas as i ran the tank bone dry yesterday and then refilled from a 5 gallon can of fresh fuel on the roadside. Changed out the fuel filter 3 days ago. Best guess so far ... it's somewhere in the emissions. Maybe the EGR system.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 5.8 in my 92 and i had a similar issue till i looked around the engine bay and found a few vaccume leaks. Once i fixed the leaks I regained my fuel economy and my power. For those that dont know the power band for torque in these engines is in the lower rpm range. Check all your vaccume lines and fix any leaks then check the plugs cap and rotor and run some lucas fuel system cleaner through it a few times and see how it goes frome there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: possibly buying a 5.8L 93 4x4 but have a question