Topic Sponsor

Performance Mod’s CA legal

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Mod’s CA legal

I found a 300HP engine from ATK that will work with my 96 f-150 with a 351, but i’m wondering if it will pass smog in CA, also if anyone else from CA can tell me what things you can do to a 96 to gain power and torque and still be able to pass smog
Old 07-17-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by 96f150eddiebauer
I found a 300HP engine from ATK that will work with my 96 f-150 with a 351, but i’m wondering if it will pass smog in CA, also if anyone else from CA can tell me what things you can do to a 96 to gain power and torque and still be able to pass smog
Got a link to it?
Old 07-18-2018, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Got a link to it?

http://www.high-performance-engines....0hp-p/hp09.htm
Old 07-20-2018, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 96f150eddiebauer
It would probably work - there are certain things you have to be very careful of when buying a crate engine for these trucks - most importantly is the cam specs. I'm not as versed as others in this forum about what exactly you should be looking for, so I will let them comment. Do you know whether or not your truck is speed density or mass air flow? If it is mass air flow, it has a single tube coming off of the airbox that splits into two tubes into the throttle body - Speed density will have two tubes all the way from the air filter box to the throttle body. If it is a mass air flow truck it gives you a lot more flexibility for cam selection.

You would also get another big jump in power out of an engine like that with an upgrade in cylinder heads - that one you linked only has the factory E7 heads. A good set of aluminum GT40 style heads would light it up. Pair that with an edelbrock truck intake and now you are seeing mustangs in your rear view mirror.....
Old 07-20-2018, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
It would probably work - there are certain things you have to be very careful of when buying a crate engine for these trucks - most importantly is the cam specs. I'm not as versed as others in this forum about what exactly you should be looking for, so I will let them comment. Do you know whether or not your truck is speed density or mass air flow? If it is mass air flow, it has a single tube coming off of the airbox that splits into two tubes into the throttle body - Speed density will have two tubes all the way from the air filter box to the throttle body. If it is a mass air flow truck it gives you a lot more flexibility for cam selection.

You would also get another big jump in power out of an engine like that with an upgrade in cylinder heads - that one you linked only has the factory E7 heads. A good set of aluminum GT40 style heads would light it up. Pair that with an edelbrock truck intake and now you are seeing mustangs in your rear view mirror.....
thabks for the reply, my truck is mass air flow. On a side note what kind of heads came stock with my 351, and what are the difference between Gt40 heads and GT40P heads
Old 07-20-2018, 09:40 AM

Your truck has E7 heads.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/cylin...-upgrades.html

Take home message is that GT40 and GT40p heads were the best factory head ever made for small block fords. The GT40p is slightly higher compression, thus more power, but it has a weird plug angle that require the use of a P-specific header.

Also just keep in mind when looking at cylinder heads that 302 and 351 will have different size cylinder head bolt sizes - a 351 head has 1/2" bolts and a 302 will have 7/16" bolts.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have any emissions where I am in Canadia, but seems to me you should be asking about CARB numbers from the manufacturer. Any aftermarket performance part should list whether or not it's 50 state legal, headers for example usually say offroad or racing applications only, the cam and heads I bought for my build both listed CARB numbers. So I would hope, that as long as you keep the cat, air pump, and egr working as intended you'd be ok.

Based on the description it looks like a stock motor, except the cam. I'd be weary about putting a cam with 219/219 @.050 duration with stock heads intake. Lots of posts out there about too much duration screwing up the low end torque in a mostly stock engine.

The compression is bumped up a litttle, so either that's from being bored .040 over or there's a different dish in the pistons or both.

Keep in mind that motor was built for a carb, the power numbers advertised are going to be with carb, intake, and long tube headers. And afaik, efi doesn't use a mechanical fuel pump, so not sure if you'd have to do something about that or not.

Also afaik, 5.8l trucks/broncos equipped with mass air were pretty rare. So congrats on your unicorn!!

Quick Reply: Performance Mod’s CA legal